Texas-Houston

Gift Registries in the Invitations

Okay I have read a thousand times in the Knot Houston and other bridal magazines that it is a wedding crime to put where you are registered in the invitations.  What is so bad about doing that? It seems practical and the easiest way to get the word out instead of playing telephone to pass the message on.  Can someone please tell me why it is so bad to do this?

Re: Gift Registries in the Invitations

• edited December 2011
    it shows you as being gift-grabby. no one is under any obligation to get you a gift just because you're getting married. adding the registry info to the invitation is basically demanding to your guests "you must get me a gift!" that may not be your intention, but that is what people opening the invitation will probably think. registry info is spread by word of mouth or wedding website (also not included on invitation).

Glenna Harding Photography
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with pp.  I didn't do it.  Instead, I had my registeries linked with the knot website I created, and I put that website on the enclosure card.  If guest really want to bring you a gift, they will go to the website, find some way to figure out your registries, or give you money/gift card.  I really didn't have to many phone calls and texts and emails asking me, probably because of the website.
  • edited December 2011

Also agree. Wedding websites are free and so easy to create, there you can list all your important information including your registries.

• ayersfam20ayersfam20 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I've gotten invitations with the registry cards in there and didn't think anything of it.  I didn't put them in mine, but we invited mostly family and they asked around where we were registered.  If you want to do it, I don't think it's as big a deal as the magazines and such make it out to be. 

Abbie Rose 9.26.2004
    Collin Thayne 10.11.2010
  • sweet__peasweet__pea member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]it shows you as being gift-grabby. <strong>no one is under any obligation to get you a gift just because you're getting married</strong>. adding the registry info to the invitation is basically demanding to your guests "you must get me a gift!" that may not be your intention, but that is what people opening the invitation will probably think. registry info is spread by word of mouth or wedding website (also not included on invitation).
    [/QUOTE]
    Ditto this.

If you really don't want to "spread the word", then add your wedding website/blog site to the enclosure card or accommodations card.  Once people visit your site, they will see your Gift Registry info.

In this world of social networking, you can add your wedding website on other sites like FB and MySpace, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    Everything PP's said. I beleive it is acceptable to put that information in bridal shower invites as well as your wedding website
  • STBMrsMartinSTBMrsMartin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I agree with all PP. You can also put your wedding site on your Save the Dates & the word gets spread pretty quickly if you have a bridal/couple shower.

Worst case scenario they don't know where you register they will give you a gift card or $$. IMO is much better. :-)
    Photobucket
    Our little miracle, Jett.
    Planning Bio,
    My Blog
  • edited December 2011

I agree with PP.
    We put links on our website, and there wasn't anyone that asked us.  My parents usually call me when they have a wedding to go to and ask me to find where people are registered...lol.
    I wouldn't think badly of someone that included an insert that matched their invites, but I think it takes away from the beauty and formality of them when it is printed on them.

• ib4eplzib4eplz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well as for someone who works with registries-I say put it in the invites.  People come up to us all the time and ask if such and such is registered.  sometimes we can find them and sometimes they arent registered with us or other places (i check the web). I think if you only register for HIGH dollar items than it is like you are asking for the best type of stuff from your guests.  However I like knowing where someone is registered.  I agree with just putting it on WW, but I don't think it is rude to put it in at least the shower invites.
  • edited December 2011
    The registries are supposed to be on shower invites.  Not wedding invites.  As far as etiquette goes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards