Rhode Island

Catholic Churches in/around Newport??

Hi Ladies!

I'm looking for recommendations of Catholic churches in/around Newport that take non-parishioners. Any help would be appreciated!

Happy Planning!

Re: Catholic Churches in/around Newport??

• kathanddavekathanddave member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey There

Call St Lucy's in Middletown they are great!  I did grow up in the parish but haven't been active in 15 years. I do know they have alot of out of towners who go there for their wedding. Father John is amazing, he does take a while to return calls but he is worth the wait. He did such a great job at our wedding people are still talking about it!  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I second St. Lucy's!  I also LOVE Father O'Brien.  He's really sweet and loves what he does.  He's totally opposite of grumpy old priest.

I'd also recommend St. Augustin's.  I believe you can use the church if you bring in an outside officiant.  I've actually attended a Catholic/Jewish wedding at St. Augustine's.  The Newport Naval chaplain performed the ceremony.

I think Jesus Saviour on Broadway has a similar policy as St. Augustin's.  

You might also try St. Joseph's Church.  The rumor around Newport is that they need $$$ and are now open to non-parishioners.  I've personally experienced a lot of attitude from the lady that answers the church phone and the priest, which I could really do without.  You may have a different experience.  I hate to speak that way about a church, but it's my experience. 
  • kathanddavekathanddave member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I tried working with St Joe's and Jesus Savior this time last year and they didn't want to hear it.  My husband, FI at the time, grew up at St. Joe's as did his whole family and they could care less.  It is worth a try and would love to know if they have changed their ways.  Fr O'Brien rocks and he brought the church down when he said his homily, he had everyone laughing and crying.  Also suggestion for a soloist, Melissa Murphy Leite who sings at St. Joe's...she did an amazing job, her Ave Maria is unbelievable!!!! Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, ladies.

Another random queston - we are meeting our priest in a new parish we joined for the first time to discuss doing our wedding preparation with him. We are totally freaked out about what kinds of questions he will ask us.... does anyone remember what their priests asked them??
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards