Rhode Island

Wedding Details: Do they matter?

We sometimes get caught up with the details in our wedding (to the point it stresses us out) and sometimes forget the bigger picture. The article below just helps to remind us what is truly important. Written from a photographer's perspective. The article is pretty honest and insightful iespecially for brides like myself who strived for a blog worthy wedding. 

http://shangchenphoto.com/weddings/the-truth-about-wedding-details-do-they-matter/

what do you guys think? And what wedding detail is the most important to you and your groom?

Re: Wedding Details: Do they matter?

• I think everyone should read this article. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the little details and making sure the wedding is great. As someone who got married less than two months ago, I can definitely relate a lot with what the article is saying.

The most important detail of our wedding day was the ceremony. All I wanted was a ceremony that meant something to the two of us as a couple. We (ok, not going to lie - I) spent a lot of time choosing readings and we were lucky to have an officiant that was ok with us basically piecing the ceremony from readings and prayers he suggested as well as ones that we found. I wanted people to leave and say "that was SO them!". When all was said and done, we got lots of compliments on the food, reception venue, music, etc., but hands down the best compliment we got was that people loved our ceremony and how personal it was.

Looking back, are there things that I wish I would have done differently or remembered to mention or do - definitely. But everything that needed to happen, happened and we're happily married. My best advice is to at some point just let go of being the planner, be the bride, let the day happen, and enjoy it. It can be really hard to do (in my case my biggest roadblock was a MIL who did not smile once the entire day) but you get that day once. Do I wish that I ate one of the mini pies we had (that I HAD to have)? Yes, but I didn't eat one because I didn't leave the dance floor once and was having a blast. Most of all, remember the the wedding day is about getting married and starting your life as a married couple. Have faith in all of the weeks, months, even years of planning that you did that you'll end up with fabulous day :).
  • That was a really great article -- thanks for sharing it.  I'm more of a big picture kind of girl anyhow... I want to put the majority of my budget into having a charming venue and fabulous food and keep the little details to a minimum.  The one detail I'd really like to incorporate is something about how my fiancee and I met: playing an online video game.  I'd love to have a custom cake topper made to look like our characters from the game.
  • Thanks for posting this. My girlfriend used Shang as a photographer and I like to catch her honest posts that she writes every so often. Though sometimes I tink she is a bit blunt and off the cuff, I thought this was great.
    I agree with her, details that will reflect w ho you are, in your ceremony etc really matter.
    And if at the end of the day the drink stirrers don't get finished- well that's ok...

I think weddings have def. become an "industry" and all those pretty wedding blogs make us ooo and ahh over the details that half the guests don't notice.

The things people remember: the food, the entertainment, and the love.

Things they will probably forget are the bathroom baskets, drink stirrers, etc.

Although, I recently went to a wedding that had NO personal touches. And it seemed to come off like they went down a list and was liek "that sounds good, we'll do that, ok we'll do that too".
    There wasn't any individuality to it, and it seemed to almost stiffle the couple.

So there must be a fine line between being "over the top in details" (YOU CAN have too many!!) and being impersonal.
    www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards