Rhode Island
Options

Sticker Shock!

Eeek My mom just reported the quote from the tent people (not sure who she called) but for a tent, tables, sides, exit signs for 125 on saturday sept 15 it's $5000, for that kind of cash we could rent Linden Place! Is this crazy?

Re: Sticker Shock!

• Options
    kathanddavekathanddave member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds like a great price...I had 200 people with tent, tables and chairs and the cost was over 10K....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've booked my tent, tables and chairs with RI Rentals.  and I'm paying less than $2,000 BUT, I only need the tent for the caterer not for my guests, (my venue doesn't have a kitchen area so the caterer needs the tent to work from)

Honestly, as I looked into price quotes from different companys, the proposals were all within pennies of one another, so I don't think I could've gotten a better deal elsewhere.

Look into all the factors that may be bringing up the fee;  Garden chairs cost less than Chiavari chairs, are you renting a dancefloor? Did you choose basic linens or a special order? etc.

GL!!!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KBinRIKBinRI member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That does sound like a lot to me. I just looked up my invoice and I rented a 30x40 tent with sides, nine round dinner tables, three eight-foot banquet tables and three low cocktail tables, 70 white padded garden chairs, 140 perimeter string lights, two lighted emergency exit signs, two fire extinguishers and two "no smoking" signs PLUS a propane tent heater for $1,853.78 including tax. 

You didn't mention one, but does your quote include a dance floor, too? Maybe that's what's driving the cost up?

I found that prices varied wildly - about a $1,400 difference from the highest quote to the lowest - and it really paid off to call around. We rented from ABC Rent-A-Tent in Westport, Mass. (delivers to Rhode Island) and they were great.
    Kristen and Bryan ~ 10-10-10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    tsp698tsp698 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The same thing happened to me, our tent quote was too much, somewhere upwards of $3,000...for just the tent, no tables, chairs, etc. I found out it was because the location of the tent would cost more money because set up would be more difficult. I quickly, and very luckily, found a church only a mile away that is only costing me $500.
    image 107 Invited
    image 43 are ready to party! image 6 have better things to do image58 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: July 23
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The quotes I got ranged from ~$10,000 (eek!) to ~$3000 for what we requested.  We have the same number of people as you but my FI is dead-set on a huge tent that's probably way bigger than what we need.  We also need a stage for a band.  So $5000 is probably a bit high.  Also - check out some pics of the different tent styles.  Frameless is more $$ (but personally, I prefer the look of the century tents, the ones with the big peaks), and when you're shopping around compare apples to apples - make sure the companies are quoting for the same size tent, number of tables (some will do their calculation assuming you want 10 ppl at a 60" round, whereas others will say 8ppl at the same table), chair type, etc.

Also, I would recommend trying to buy your linens as opposed to renting them - quotes for rentals were actually higher than the price to buy.  (and just fyi, our wedding is Sept. 17 this year and we'll have white tablecloths & napkins for ~135ppl we'll be selling!)

good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards