Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Which poems are you having read?

I have been looking at poems to be read during the ceremony. I have a few ideas but would like to know which ones you are having read during your ceremony, as there are so many great poems out there.

So far my favorite is "I Carry Your Heart with Me" by E.E. Cummings.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Which poems are you having read?

• This is one of the ones I like:

'TIL DEATH DO US PART
    ~ By Carol D. Bos ~

I hope it is decades before death parts us
    But I don’t know what God has in mind
    I pray that he’ll let us be happy always
    But I can’t comprehend plans divine.

It may be that turmoil will dot our landscape
    With it’s gray skies and swirling intrusion
    It may be that joy will fill both our hearts
    And we’ll think pain is just an illusion.

But I think it’s likely we’ll see some of each
    As we walk on this pathway together
    I promise you now: I will give all I have
    From my mouth you’ll not hear the word “Never.”

With so much uncertainty, crime, and abuse
    That exists, everywhere, all around us
    More than ever we need to hold fast to the truth
    Of our marriage…Life will not confound us.

Time together is fleeting; it is too scarce to waste
    My goal is to make my life-mission
    A beautiful tapestry highlighting “us”
    Sewn with threads from our human condition.

I want to explore the full spectrum of life
    Before we’re too close to its leaving
    I want to embrace vast explosions of joy
    That make both our hearts strong and heaving.

I know I will love you for all of my life
    No matter the time we are given.
    I’m your till death parts us-left all alone-
    Until God reunites us in heaven.

• Some others:

“Time In A Bottle", by Jim Croce (back to top of page)

“If I could save time in a bottle, the first thing that I'd like to do, is to save every day ‘till eternity passes away, just to spend them with you. If I could make days last forever; if words could make wishes come true; I'd save every day like a treasure and then, again, I would spend them with you. If I had a box just for wishes, and dreams that had never come true; the box would be empty, except for the memory of how they were answered by you. But there never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do, once you find them. I've looked around enough to know that you're the one I want to go through time with.”

“I Am Love"  (back to top of page)

“Some say I can fly on the wind, yet I haven’t any wings. Some have found me floating on the open sea, yet I cannot swim. Some have felt my warmth on cold nights, yet I have no flame. And though you cannot see me, I lay between two lovers at the hearth of fireplaces. I am the twinkle in your child’s eyes. I am hidden in the lines of your mother's face. I am your father's shield as he guards your home. And yet… Some say I am stronger than steel, yet I am as fragile as a tear. Some have never searched for me, yet I am around them always. Some say I die with loss, yet I am endless. And though you cannot hear me, I dance on the laughter of children. I am woven into the whispers of passion. I am in the blessings of Grandmothers. I embrace the cries of newborn babies. And yet… Some say I am a flower, yet I am also the seed. Some have little faith in me, yet I will always believe in them. Some say I cannot cure the ill, yet I nourish the soul. And though you cannot touch me, I am the gentle hand of the kind. I am the fingertips that caress your cheek at night. I am the hug of a child. I am love.”

“Looking For Your Face”, by Rumi (back to top of page)

“From the beginning of my life I have been looking for your face, but today I have seen it. Today I have seen the charm, the beauty, the unfathomable grace of the face that I was looking for. Today I have found you, and those who laughed and scorned me yesterday are sorry that they were not looking as I did. I am bewildered by the magnificence of your beauty, and wish to see you with a hundred eyes. My heart has burned with passion and has searched forever for this wondrous beauty that I now behold. I am ashamed to call this love human, and afraid of God to call it divine. Your fragrant breath, like the morning breeze, has come to the stillness of the garden. You have breathed new life into me. I have become your sunshine, and also your shadow. My soul is screaming in ecstasy. Every fiber of my being is in love with you. Your effulgence has lit a fire in my heart, and you have made radiant for me the earth and sky. My arrow of love has arrived at the target. I am in the house of mercy, and my heart is a place of prayer.”

• Thank you for your ideas skippylouwho! My favorite of the ones you listed is "Time in a Bottle" by Jim Croce. It is a very sweet poem!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We are doing the Irish Blessing.  I heard it at a wedding once and LOVED it!  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This one is perfect for my fiance and I because we are artists

by David Foster and Arthur Janov

I'll paint a sun to warm your heart
    Knowing that we'll never part.
    I'll draw the years all passing by
    So much to learn, so much to try.

I'll paint my mood in a shadow blue,
    Paint my soul to be with you.
    I'll sketch your lips in shaded tones,
    Draw your mouth to my own.

I'll trace a hand to wipe your tears
    And trace a look to calm your fears.
    A silhouette of dark and light
    To hold each other oh so tight.

I'll paint the stars in the evening sky,
    Draw the light into your eyes,
    A touch of love, a touch of grace,
    To softly fall on your moonlit face.

And with this ring our lives will start,
    Let nothing keep our love apart.
    I'll take yaour hand to hold in mine,
    And be together through all time.
  • "A marriage"  -- this will be read during the ceremony --

http://www.todays-weddings.com/planning/readings/a_marriage.html
  • We did Shakespeare's Sonnet 116, since we got married on his birthday.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • We to are looking at an Irish blessing. We both have Irish & Scotish roots and we are planning on homeymooning in Ireland, so it ties into that nicely. It think it can be a GREAT way to pay tribute to your heritage. Maybe look at your background and see if anything catches your attention.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards