Rhode Island
Options

Middle Name Change in RI

I saw the great post about name changes, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with just changing a middle name in RI.  I am keeping my last name but changing my middle name to his last name (conveniently enough, it's a girl's name).Thanks in advance!P.S. Our wedding is 10/10, we sent out invites on Saturday and got the first 4 RSVPs on Monday - so exciting - the mail is fast!

Re: Middle Name Change in RI

• Options
    AmyRIAmyRI member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that the process is the same. Your marriage certificate should serve as good enough documentation to change either your middle or last name, so it shouldn't matter. You might even avoid changing a bunch of stuff if it doesn't have your middle initial now. You could try posting on the RI Nest board and see if anyone on there did it that way. GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One friend did this with no problem because she never had a middle name, but another friend tried and because she had one, they told her she would have to go to court and get it legally changed first. I also seem to remember a Knottie running into this. Maybe they'll pipe in.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback so far! I should add that I was born without a middle name - chose it when I was 7 - so my Social card and birth certificate don't have a middle name.  Neither do my credit cards or drivers license.  Passport might, though.
  • Options
    melinda478melinda478 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't have a middle name so when we got married I took my last name and used it as my middle and took his last name for mine...make sense? I don't know if you can do it as easily as I did since I took his last name. I would call the SS office and see if you can get someone there to answer or help you out. That is the official place that you need to go to first to do any sort of name changing-you'll need your new SS card before you can do your license, HTH!
  • Options
    glenbride09glenbride09 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i changed my lasy name to his at the SS office, and wanted to drop my middle name and make it my maiden name...and io have to go to court to do that....what a waste of time AND money, it's not like i am picking a name out of the air! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards