Rhode Island

inexpensive casual party wedding

Has anyone been to a wedding at camp kiwanee in mass., and if so , can you please give me some info.? My fiance and I have been together for 9 yrs ,and we love to party, so we are looking for a casual outside fall wedding reception that is longer than the usual 5 hr. reception. Maybe some kind of pig roast / bbq, lots of alcohol, nothing traditional!!

Re: inexpensive casual party wedding

• RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never heard of the camp but it might also be worth inquiring on the MA board too. I love non-traditional weddings! They are extra work but worth it. G.L
  • edited December 2011
    You could try Whispering Pines in West Kingston, RI.  Your guests can stay the whole weekend on the grounds and party around the fire every night. 

• lornajaymes1lornajaymes1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I called George from Whispering Pines and that does seem wonderful, he told me that I might be looking for The Environmental Center at Alton Jones, because I want about 200 - 250 people  and something a little more laid back, ,and probably less expensive. I never realized how difficult it is to stay within a reasonable budget, find a great party atmosphere, with great food! I have had a few suggestions that I am going to follow up on , but if anyone knows of any land or place for rent where maybe there has been keg parties, pig roasts or anything a little crazy..... please let me know!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Or how about Kempenaar's Clambake Club in Middletown, RI?  Chuck is supppper laid back.  We had our engagement party there.  I think the room rental fee is only $500.  I don't think that changes based on number of people.  Maybe you can do a pig roast & a clambake! 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooh thanks , I will try that!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Kempenaar's is a good idea, my fiance and I hang out with Chuck!  There are two bars, and games (volleyball, horse shoes, etc), two tented areas, and you could def get crazy there. 

There is also Yawgoo Bakes in Exeter,

http://www.yawgoobakes.com/

and there is a YMCA Camp in Charlestown, Camp Watchaug, I don't know if they have ever done weddings there, but my fiance's sister's graduation party was there a few years ago and we were openly drinking, the buidling was VERy rustic, but they have done some renovations according to the website.

http://www.campwatchaug.org/

I also rememeber someone mentioning Stepping Stone Ranch in West Greenwhich. 

http://www.steppingstoneranch.com/countrywedding.htm

None of these places are fancy, but it sounds like you aren't looking for fancy!
  • KBinRIKBinRI member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was going to say Stepping Stone; I met the owner last year and he was telling me about the weddings they've had there! It's a little more DIY than some places (or you could hire a coordinator) but very laid-back. He said they can cater or you can bring in your own. GL!
    Kristen and Bryan ~ 10-10-10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I know of a farm in Exeter that i'm going to meet with tomorrow, are you still looking for a location. I can get some pictures and info for you.

-Ryan
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am still looking, and Exeter is cool because thats where my other half comes from. I am looking into Alton Jones , not whispering pines , the environmental center, where they do all day parties . They seem to be what I am looking for, although I haven't seen it yet. From what I understand we can have it all day and night, they do bbq's, they have accomodations,  they have a cash bar and we can have a big bonfire. YAY!!  I realy hope it s what we are looking for, but I am open to any suggestions!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm looking for exactly what you are looking for!

My Fiance and I took a look at Whispering Pines and it's a very nice establishment. We still want to check a few more places out.

Keep us posted on how the Alton Jones site goes!
  • mommasocomommasoco member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about Yawgoo Bakes & BBQ in Exeter?  I worked there 1 Summer in HS...They did a few wedding that summer :)

Good Luck searching!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards