Rhode Island

South Ferry Church- how many?!

Hi Ladies-

I booked the South Ferry Church under the assumption that it held 150 ( after speaking with them)  We may have like 160 coming to the wedding.  Do you think we'll fit?

Thanks
Kate

Re: South Ferry Church- how many?!

• edited December 2011
    I think it's meant to hold closer to 120.  I got married there with 90 and there was a lot of room, several almost empty rows.  160 might be stretching it though.

Here are pictures of my wedding.  If you start on page 12 you can get an idea of how big it is.  http://www.markturekphotography.com/Weddings/Annie/13538590_Fhiu8#988687602_ZQiu8
  • edited December 2011
    They told me 150 but when I looked at it, I think 150 would even be tight, so I agree with PP that 160 would be a squeeze. But, is that 160 the number you're inviting or the number that you're inviting that realistically would attend? Not that you should plan for people not coming - because heaven knows all but three said yes to ours! - but maybe the 160 is a little high estimation?
  • edited December 2011

We were comfortable with 70.  Double that sounds like a real squeeze play. 

Also - I noticed that a recent bride at South Ferry had an issue where they never came to open the church for the reception.  The same thing happened to us 4 years ago.  We rehearsed on the lawn, which was stress-inducing, but fine in the end.  If you want a rehearsal- ask them point blank if they will assure you that the church will be opened for it.

• edited December 2011
    Right1thistime, that was me!  The door was locked for our rehearsal.  I was really angry, and they were barely apologetic about it.  I mean seriously, you pay for it to be open twice, how hard is that?  And they DID assure me by phone and email that it would be open on Friday and Saturday night.  

We managed to get in though.  Someone boosted a window and we found a ladder, so everyone, from the bride to the groom to the flower girl to the celebrant to the 64 year old father of the bride and everyone in the bridal party went up the ladder and through the window!  It's actually a fun memory since it all worked out, but I was really angry at the beginning.

I wouldn't say don't book it for this reason, because it is beautiful, but feel free to mention that you heard how the church wasn't open for another wedding, and that it better be for your wedding or something like that!

However, it is beautiful and I love my photos.  The light was so perfect.  Regarding my wedding day, I couldn't be happier.  

• edited December 2011
    Anne - Duh @ me - I meant rehearsal.    We also took it as it came, and decided it was a fun memory.  Our officiant was DH's cousin, so she was pretty laid back about it.  I told him that with things this way the only walk down the aisle was on our wedding day.  (lemonade out of lemons, I guess)

We loved the church and the setting.  Couldn't be happier about the actual wedding day as well.

I just figure anyone booking it ought to know that your experience was not isolated, even though mine was a while ago.  ~Donna
  • kate1025kate1025 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you for sharing the pics anne! i'm worried about numbers now! oh well what can you do i guess!

you looked beautiful!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Kate!  I mean, you might be fine, it's hard to know.  You can't really tell from my photos, but there was a lot of extra space.  People kinda crowded towards the back and our families were at the front.  Good luck working it out!!  As right1thistime said, it is really such a beautiful place and I was very very happy with my wedding day, if not the rehearsal!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards