Rhode Island

Belle Mer - Newport Reviews??

Hi everyone!

Recently engaged, I am trying to find a location for my 250 person wedding in Newport RI. I went to see Belle Mer on Goat Island and was completely impressed by the grounds and views. However, I have read some mixed reviews online citing poor service/quality, which obviously made me nervous.

If anyone has had their wedding there in the last year or so (I know they went through a management change in the last few years), I would REALLY appreciate any feedback you have on the venue!

Thanks so much!

Re: Belle Mer - Newport Reviews??

• edited December 2011
    I have posted my experience in a few threads.  I was married there in July 2010.  Everything was wonderful and their management changes are definitely an improvement.  I even saw improvements over the year I was planning which led them to waive vendor fees and a few other restrictions even though they were in my contract. 

I can't recommend Belle Mer enough.  The food was excellent, the service the night of was excellent and our event coordinator was awesome, it was like having a wedding planner! 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback it was helpful! Did you happen to choose the prix fix menu? Also, what was your site minimum? They quoted me $50K (10k for the site fee) for Oct 8th.

Thanks so much for your help!
  • edited December 2011
    When i booked they didn't have set menu pricing or menus so it was all customized. 

We were in the Island House so our minimum and fees were different - we had a 30K Event Minimum and 5500 site fee.  You will not have a problem meeting the 50K minimum with 250 people and you can count any other vendors you book with them towards that minimum.  You can try and negotiate the site fee - we did and managed to get them to take $1000 off of it. 
  • lnulandlnuland member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also got married there at the end of July and had a wonderful experience with them. The day of execution was perfect between the coordination of everyone from the ceremony to making sure the food got out on time ( which tasted great! ) and that our reception went smoothly. 

As the PP said, you shouldn't have an issue with your EM. We had a 35K EM with a 7500K site fee and went well over and we had 134 guests. We didn't choose off the prix fixed and went for the customization. 

• edited December 2011
    Random.. but that posted under a username that I use for other things, not on here? But when I looked under my info it had my correct username? I just wanted to see if it would happen again
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm, seems like they must have increased the site fees. Did either of you go through their vendors to meet the EMs? If so, did you have positive experiences?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards