Rhode Island
Options

Newport Church Questions

Which Catholic churches in the Newport area allow non-parishoners to be married there? Do they supply the priest? I have read that some churches that allow the out of towner weddings, require you to provide your own priest. Does anyone know the situations at St. Mary's Bristol, St. Lucy's, St. Augustin's or St. Joes?
Any help appreciated!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Newport Church Questions

• Options
    kathanddavekathanddave member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I grew up at St Lucy's but do not attend church on a regular basis. My husband grew up at St Joe's in Newport and he doesn't attend church either. When we were looking at churches to get married in St Joe's wouldn't even speak to us so I reached out to Father John at St. Lucy's and he was wonderful.  He is known for opening his door to out of towners.  He did such an amazing job with our ceremony our guest are still talking about it.  Give him a call..just an fyi he is sloooow to respond.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thnaks for the info on St. Joe's and St. Lucy's. Does anyone know about St. Mary's in Bristol?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married in Newport in Sep. 2012, we booked St. Anthony's in Portsmouth for the ceremony and the reception is at Regatta Place.  Our home parish is in Boston, and St. Anthony's was great about setting everything up, we will use their priest.  The key with churches in Newport you have to book them at least a year if not more, our first choice was St. Augustin, and they were happy to have us, but already had a wedding book for the date we wanted. St. Mary's Newport will not marry you unless you belong.  Our venue coordinator gave us a list of catholic churches, as well as our wedding planner.  We literally booked the venue and the church in the same weekend. And we could not be more happier with St. Anthony's in Portsmouth, it is a beautiful church.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are two options where you do not need to bring your own priest:
    We are getting married at St. Lucy's and we are from Boston. Your other option is St. Mary's in Bristol. Our ceremony is costing $500 and I believe St. Mary's is $750.
    I will also add that we are getting married on a Sunday, and not many Catholic churches will do Sunday weddings.
    Hope that helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info! I was under the impression that St. Mary's in Bristol required you to supply your own priest, but that is great if we could use one of theirs. I know Bristol is about 15 miles from Newport, but how far is Portsmouth in case we check out St. Anthony's?
    In our area, a Sunday wedding is not difficult to get in a catholic churchm so it surprised me to hear that's an issue in the Newport area.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had our wedding at St. Mary's in Bristol. We originally were scheduled for St. Lucy's given it's closer to our reception site on Goat Island, but we wanted a more traditional looking church.

St. Mary's provided a priest for us; we were from MA so we did our marriage prep at home and then were married by a priest supplied by St. Mary's.

St. Mary's is extremely flexible - they are very helpful if you ask for guidance, but they basically let you plan the whole thing yourself. We actually did not meet our priest until the day of the wedding, but everything went off perfectly and he was great. We have beautiful photos as well - the church is gorgeous.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards