Rhode Island

Not entirely happy with makeup trial :(

I had my hair and makeup trial yesterday and came out not 100% happy with it.  They were really sweet and nice, but I wasn't entirely happy with how the makeup looked.  Since I don't have much experience with makeup, it was hard for me to point out what I didn't really like , but now I'm wondering whether or not to book them for the actual wedding day.  I already paid for the trial so it would be  cheaper and convenient to just go ahead and book them (and hope that I can find some pictures of makeup that I DO like for the wedding day)...  but I feel that's a bit risky.   Have people gone ahead and book stylists even if they weren't entirely happy with the outcome of the trial?  The girls are really nice and friendly and I enjoyed working with them...

Re: Not entirely happy with makeup trial :(

• It's probably too late for this, but you really should have tried to speak up and vocalize exactly what you didn't like about your hair and makeup.  If they're professional and do this on a regular basis I don't think they'd be offended if you said you didn't love it.  Was it too much makeup?  Did you not like the colors?  Did you not feel that you looked like "you?"  What was wrong with the hair?

I would either go back for another trial and give feedback as best you can, or I'd start over and look for a different H&MU vendor.
  • You definitely should go back and try again--or go somewhere new.  It might help to take a friend with you as well--that way they might be able to help you articulate exactly what you don't like.  I know my mom and sister are planning on going with me.  GL.

• RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I highly recommend a second trial if you feel the look they created for you wasn't what you envisioned on your wedding day. I don't wear much make up myself and I really wanted a look that was natural and soft for my beach wedding. I met with two make up arists for a make up trial before booking. I compared the two and went with who made me feel the most comfortable and who was able to acheive the look I wanted. So you also have the option to meet with another Make up Artist for a trial if you feel the other make up arist does not meet your expectations. This is your big day so don't be afraid to try other vendors. 
  • Thanks for all the replies.  I think I will do a second trial with a different makeup artist and see how that turns out and compare.  The hair trial was ok.  It was mostly the makeup that I was unhappy with.  I think it was a combination of eyeshadow color and placement that threw me off and made it look weird. I'm also looking for a more natural, soft, romantic look but the eyeshadow was too dark and there was just too much of it.   I'm asian and am having a hard time finding a MUA who has a lot of experience with asian features :(  Will keep on trying!! 

• I hear that Sara Faella has a lot of experience doing a great job on Asian skin.  I'm not Asian but I remember reading a comment from RoyalOrient about that.  I also booked her for my wedding day and I'm so excited!!! :)

• Can you message me about how everything turned out Im looking for beauty too I have contacted a few vendors on here that look are requested a lot I did just send one to Sara but to others also. Just curious about your outcome hope it all worked out!
  • Can you message me about how everything turned out Im looking for beauty too I have contacted a few vendors on here that look are requested a lot I did just send one to Sara but to others also. Just curious about your outcome hope it all worked out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards