Rhode Island

Hair and Make - Up Question

HI, I was wondering who typically pays for the Bridal parties hair and make up? The dresses I am leaning toward are super inexpensive, which would make me think it would be ok to ask them, but don't know if that's typically something they would pay for any way.

Re: Hair and Make - Up Question

• edited December 2011

It depends. If you are requiring that they have their hair or makeup professionally done, then you pay.

If not, you could let them know: "Hey, I have a hair and MUA coming on Saturday morning and I want to know how many of you would be interested in having either service. It would cost $XX for hair and $XX for makeup. Let me know if you're interested or whether you'll be doing your own."

• edited December 2011
    I have a rather large bridal party (7) and the cost for hair/makeup is definitely on the high end...I'm asking for them to each give a small amount towards this and I'm paying for the rest...
    Happily Married!! 5.29.11 was THE best day of our lives!

>-{ Blog - K5 Becomes A Bride }-<

>-{ Wedding Items FOR SALE }-<

• RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've asked my girls (MOH and 1 BM) to pay for their dresses since they have the option to pick and choose whatever style they want as long as they are the wedding colors and they meet my approval. I am paying for half the cost of their hair and make up. Thank goodness, hair is relatively inexpensive (40 per person) and make up is still reasonable. I am also paying for all of my younger sister's expenses (jr. bridesmaid) including her hair and make up done. 
  • maheardmaheard member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my girls dresses and then covered the tip portion for our MUA. I did ask them what they thought was reasonable as far as what they wanted to pay and went from there.   I think it really depends on the bride but I would defintely discuss it with them first. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Since the fees for hair are reasonable ($40), and I'd like for my BMs to have it done, I will be paying for it.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to pay for the other bridesmaids' hair AND makeup, so I was honest with them about it and said that they could choose to have their makeup done by the artist I hired. As it turned out for me, all of the other BMs wanted to have theirs done and were willing to pay for it.

I don't think you have to pay for hair or makeup, unless you dictate that they MUST have it done professionally. Otherwise, I think if you're honest and don't choose people with ridiculous rates, it all works out.

• edited December 2011
    I had 4 bridesmaids and since they paid for their dresses and accessories, I paid for their hair and makeup.  I just asked them to bring like 5 each to tip the hairdresser and make-up artist.  I think it's a nice thing to do if you can afford it, but if you can't, don't make them.  They shouldn't be forced to have it done if you're not paying for it.
  • edited December 2011

I agree with everything all the PPs said, but wanted to add that most BMs expect to pay for their own dress, shoes, hair, makeup, hotel room if necessary, etc.  That's part of being a bridesmaid.  If they don't know this.......hopefully someone can clue them in.  I know I didn't know when I was a BM for the first time! 

I knew we had a small budget, so I only had 3 BMs so that I could pay for their hair and makeup. 

Also, I was lucky in that all my BMs had already been married, so they totally knew the whole ordeal.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • makeupbylorimakeupbylori member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello Everyone, I am a local make-up artist and just recently started advertising on the knot. If anyone is interested in taking a look at my work, feel free to reach out to me at lori-anne_andrade@hotmail.com.

I can assure you that my wedding packages can't be beat!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards