Rhode Island

Golden Gate Question

So, I met with Jay a week or so ago. and while he is soo nice and I LOVE his work for everyone else's wedding- I felt Eh about my experience.
My mom L-O-V-E-D him and his work and his price!! for everything he was offering he came in lower than most other places we went, and seemed to be doing "more".

I just felt like I couldnt get my point across of what I wanted, and we kept getting off track and maybe it was that my mom was there and "Taking over" the appointment-- but  I felt like when I left I was unsure if he understood what I wanted.

Did anyone else that used them have this feeling and then it worked out great? I know some of the girls are no longer on this board- but I hope someone has input on this!
www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image

Re: Golden Gate Question

• edited December 2011
    Hello!
    I too met with Jay about my flowers.  I had met him at the Southern New England Bridal Expo last year, thought he was super nice and loved looking at his work.  I have heard a lot of great things about it as well.  I made an appointment and met with him as well and I had the same eh feeling.  At our consult I felt that he was doing his own thing and not listening to what I was saying...all why being very pleasant.  At the end I felt we didnt have the same views of what I thought I wanted and what He thought I wanted...I tried to convey this and ...nothing.  I ended up going with Check the Florist in Providence.  My consult absolutley blew me away there and his price came in about 500 less then golden gate!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i2012doi2012do member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for your input. I also wanted to meet with Check. My mom said they've been in business forever and turns out he bought the business from- and is a close family friend to my UPS guy's dad (weird connection)- so he told me to go in and check them out (ha no pun intended).

i just feel like everyone raves nad love their stuff- but I don't feel like i am conveying what I want correctly and its not going to come out like I want. He kept saying my idea were "really popular" and i dont want flowers that look REALLY popular. I kept trying to express that, that is why i spent such a long time searching for unique ideas....
  • edited December 2011
    I had a similar experience at Broadway Florist. My wedding is in Newport, and he kept pushing me to go Nautical with my theme. I've lived here my whole life and am a sailor to boot. I felt the Nautical theme was so.... over done, similar to what you're saying GG was pushing. I was really not impressed. And then the quote came in ridiculously high b/c it was based on what he wanted.
    I ended up going with Carlone's in Portsmouth. It's at least a second generation family-owned and run shop and my parents (and church) have been using them forever. Their quote came in like $1200 cheaper and she's been SO easy to work with.
    When it comes to wedding stuff, I say go with your gut. It's usually right! IMHO if you're not going to be comfy working with this vendor, you're not going to be confident in what you're getting until it's too late (the day of). Just my two cents! And my apologies that I wasn't reviewing GG, just echoing your gut here.
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also met with Jay for a consult. He was full of ideas and couldn't stop talking about them,  I did find myself competing with him. I am sure he means well but I feel that he wants to put his mark on all of his work.  He was very enthusiastic and excited about my ideas too. I just felt we were not a good match but his work is impressive. 
  • OhkaylaOhkayla member
    edited December 2011
    I met with Jay as well, and he didn't seem to get what I wanted! I told him no green flowers with the pink since my wedding isn't a spring wedding and he kept saying "BUT it will make the pink pop!" I had to keep telling him I knew that but it was a fall wedding with a vintage theme, it wouldn't work. When I told him my budget instead of working with it, he told me there wouldn't be much he could do and everything would be very small!! He was very sweet and nice and full of ideas but nothing that I really wanted!

I ended up going with Florals by Alisa, and they got what I wanted on the first try! They came in about $600 under what Jay was going to do!
  • i2012doi2012do member
    edited December 2011
    Ohkayla
    Do you mind sharing some photos of your flowers from Florals by Alisa?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards