Rhode Island

Wedding Cake

I am currently looking into where to get our wedding cake. Does anyone have any bakery suggestions or feedback. I was looking at Scrumptions.

Affordable would be great!

Thanks!

Re: Wedding Cake

• edited December 2011
    I tasted Scrumptions at the Newport Bridal Show on Saturday.  Their red velvet and strawberries & champagne cake was AMAZING!!  I've seen several of their cakes out at weddings I've attended.  They are always beautiful and unique.  

Here are there WeddingWire.com reviews:

• RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am meeting with Sin Desserts tomorrow. I have never tried their cake so I'll get back to you after the tasting. I believe their cakes start at $4 a slice.
  • MCarmineMCarmine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went with Diane's Delectables. She is wonderful to work with and her prices are VERY affordable. I also thought her cake was the most moist and delicious. She has such a large selection of flavors too.

We also had tastings at Nancy's in Somerset (way overpriced) and Kennedy's Confections in Fall River (VERY good).
  • edited December 2011
    I am using Cakes By Rhonda out of Cranston her cake was delicious and the frosting was to die for!!!! (well in my opinion at least).  My venue comes with dessert as part of the meal so we are getting a display cake only for us to cut into.  She was under $300 for a three tier cake with a fondont bow and fondont draping with piping as well.  She also gives you a replica of the top tier of your cake for your 1 year anniversary.  She was very nice and I instantly felt comfprtable with her, I would definetly check her out!
  • Dicaps55Dicaps55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Ellen at Wrights Dairy Bakery.  Her cake tasted great & her prices were very affordable in my opinion.  I think we paid around $700 for a 4 tier cake.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Corby's. I'm paying under $400 for a cake to feed 120. Honestly, me, my Mom, and my FI loved her cakes. I found the cakes to be very flavorful, moist, and light. Her buttercream was equally flavorful but too overly sweet. I would definitely recommend setting up an appointment with her to do a tasting. I also liked that she allowed me to pick out 4 flavors ahead of time to taste at our tasting rather then just sampling whatever it was that happened to be on hand.
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_wedding-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:122Discussion:c025278f-85c1-40d6-bb1b-436909a4d7faPost:c3f306a3-678a-4dfe-8df9-74f8a44b8473">Re: Wedding Cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went with Diane's Delectables. She is wonderful to work with and her prices are VERY affordable. I also thought her cake was the most moist and delicious. She has such a large selection of flavors too. We also had tastings at Nancy's in Somerset (way overpriced) and Kennedy's Confections in Fall River (VERY good).
    Posted by MCarmine[/QUOTE]

I agree about Nancy's in Somerset as being way over priced for a low quality cake. I had a couple of bad experiences there before I learnt my lesson. As for Confections, looove them! Where exactly are they located? I know they were on new boston road but not there anymore.
  • edited December 2011
    I have to disagree w/ the low quality of Nancy's.  They were at the Venus show this weekend and their cake TASTE as well as dummy cakes she had on display were beautiful and unique...
  • edited December 2011
    We also went with Corbys and got a 5 tier cake for under $400.  It was delicious!!  I wish I had some right now!  We did lemon sour cream cake with strawberry buttercream.  Our colors were grey and pink so I wanted the sliced cake to look good in pics.  Haha.  That sounds so bridezilla.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MCarmineMCarmine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dayzchick9- I think Nancy's cake tasted really good but it was just way too much money for what I was asking for. Her red velvet was to die for.

RoyalOrient- Confections is still on New Boston Road. The studio is in the back of the buliding and can't be seen from the street.
  • wendyk33wendyk33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Diane's Delectables. She was sooo reasonable and I loved the taste of her Cakes
  • edited December 2011
    AND if you ever want a cookie cake - like a legit 10" cookie w/ frosting on it Nancy does some unbelievable cookies!  my FI was over the moon w/ his bday cake!  
  • edited December 2011
    I have 4 cake tastings in the next 2 days, Konditor Meister, Sin Deserts, Sweet Sophistications and Cappuccinos. I'll let you know how they go after!

I tried to get into Scrumptions during my short trip up here, but she only had one time open which was an hour before a meeting with our venue 30 min away. I found the woman I was emailing with pretty rude and didn't seem to care that she would be losing a potential client. Which really disappointed me, since the FI and I were really considering getting our cake from there. 
  • holsco2holsco2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!
  • edited December 2011
    If you want affordable, Scrumptions is NOT the place to go. Me and my finace went and we want a very basic cake, 3 teir with ribbons. yellow cake with lemon filling for $100 people. Nothing fancy and they were going to charge $700!!!

Needless to say we didnt sign with them. We went with Dyanes Sweet Tooth in Cumberland. Excellent choices and she is very nice. She also doesn't tack on rediculous extra fees for designs and flowers. Might want to check into it.
  • mdaunaismdaunais member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!
    We have went to four cake tastings...Sin, Cappuchinos, Corby's Cakes and Scialo Brothers Bakery (classic bakery in Federal Hill). 

We are tossing between Cappuchinos and Scialo Brothers.  Cappuchinos had very gourmet, creative flavors and their cakes were very yummy.  Scialo has more simple flavors but their cake is AMAZING!!!!! we had to go back this weekend again just to get more of their cupcakes because I have started a little obsession with them (haha not to good for my dress fitting coming up!).  Cappuchinos was more expensive.  As far as Sin and Corby's Cakes my future hubby did not love either.  He thought the taste and texture were not that great.  It is just all about what you like. Sin created a beautiful design and she had a lot of flavors to choose from.  No matter where you go I am sure your cake is going to be delicious!!!  good luck!!!!!
  • edited May 2012
    I just starting my planning for our 9/1/13 wedding at the Waypoint Event Center in New Bedford. I've been doing some research on all the bakeries mentioned in this thread and found that Corby's is now called Shemry's Cakery and Cappuchino's is closed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards