South Carolina

Do we need chairs for a beach wedding?

We are having over 150 guests at our beach wedding ceremony in April. The officiant said it should last no more than 15-20 minutes. Is it classless to have all the guests gather around a marked runner instead of paying the extra cost for chairs? We are already over our budget and figured it would be an easy thing to do without, since chairs come with the reception but not the ceremony. I was also thinking of possibly getting a few benches or 1/2 chairs for grandparents, pregnant friends, etc that cant be on their feet very long. I dont want to be disrespectful to the guests, but chairs are very expensive. Thanks!

Re: Do we need chairs for a beach wedding?

• edited December 2011
    I think you definitely need chairs. The ceremony itself may only last 15-20 minutes but you have remember that most guests will arrive at least 15 minutes early and some as early as 30 minutes. That is a long time to stand around plus people will be thrown off and not know what to do. If you absolutely can't afford chairs (and I'd consider making cuts to fit them into your budget) then you could maybe provide a bunch of blankets in your wedding colors for people to sit on. If there won't be chairs you have to make sure your guests know this in advance. I hope that didn't come off rude. It's late. BTW I had a beach ceremony this past summer and we treated it just like a traditional ceremony except for the location. I honestly can't imagine not having chairs for everyone. Best of luck to you.
  • nfguthrienfguthrie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Second the need for chairs, and I think it would be really hard to be dressed up (heels and a nice dress) as a guest and sit on a blanket.  Asking 150 people to stand for forty-five minutes isn't fair, I'm sorry to say.
  • edited December 2011
    I am thinking of doing benches. I am in the MB area and there is a company that rents them for $6.00 each and holds 6 people.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think they're a must, BUT if you don't have them., then everyone crowds around the bride/groom/preacher and it makes it hard to get pics, and kinda starts to look cheap. See if your reception venue will provide them for a small fee... my place is, and it's a life saver.... waaaaaaaay cheaper than we could have rented them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards