South Carolina

Marriage License Question

Anyone know how long a marriage license is good for in SC? We got ours in June and are getting married in September. When FI called, they said it would be good, but someone just told me they're pretty sure it's only good for 30 days. I'm freaking out since we're not going to be back in SC until late the Friday before our Sunday wedding.
Anniversary

Re: Marriage License Question

• magiebethmagiebeth member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I believe the license is good for 6 months from the date of issue. 

• mfordingmfording member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I read 30 days but this says never expiring!

South Carolina – How to Apply for a Marriage License

imagewww.sciway.net/i/ra11.gif" alt="" width="9" height="9" />  SC Wedding Guide

To get married in the state of South Carolina, you need to obtain a marriage license. The following requirements apply to both residents and non-residents:

• The bride and groom must appear together at the office of a South Carolina county probate judge and file a written application. This application asks for the full name, social security number, age, and place of residence of the bride and the groom. It is a sworn statement that must be signed by the bride and the groom and then notarized in the office of the probate judge.

• Some probate judges require both the bride and groom to show their social security cards.

• There is a waiting period after the application is filed before the license can be picked up and the marriage can take place. This waiting period varies from county to county, so please contact the appropriate county probate judge at least a week before you plan to get married.

• If you are 18 years old or older, you do not need parental consent. But you must provide proof of your age (or simply identification if you're over age 25) by presenting one of the following:
      • Valid driver's license
      • Original birth certificate or a certified copy of your birth certificate
      • Current military identification card
      • Current passport

• If you are under the age of 18, parental consent can be granted for boys and girls who are at least 16 years old. All minor applicants must file an original birth certificate or a certified copy of their birth certificate, which becomes a part of their permanent application record. The parent or legal guardian of a minor applicant must appear at the same time as the minor to present identification and sign a form consenting to the marriage.

• No blood test or physical exam is required.

• South Carolina residency is not required.

• No proof of divorce is required.

• The fee for a marriage license varies from county to county.

Additional Information

• A South Carolina marriage license is valid only for marriages performed in South Carolina.

• There is no expiration date for a South Carolina marriage license.
    http://www.sciway.net/facts/marriagelicense.html

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jennalynne2jennalynne2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    *biggest sigh of relief you've ever heard in your life*

Thanks ladies! I was half a step away from full on panic.
    Anniversary
  • mfordingmfording member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This was helpful to me too - Maybe I can apply for ours this October for October 2012! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Anyone get their marriage license in Charleston County Yet?  My FI and I are in PA and are planning to get our license in the end  of Aug.

Do you have to have your social security cards with you? We just moved and I have NO IDEA where they are
  • jennalynne2jennalynne2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina_marriage-license-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:123Discussion:7556b18d-9213-4820-ac21-d2aef0a0bceaPost:f48e1051-f562-43fe-bc3a-1bf954000d18">Re: Marriage License Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anyone get their marriage license in Charleston County Yet?  My FI and I are in PA and are planning to get our license in the end  of Aug. Do you have to have your social security cards with you? We just moved and I have NO IDEA where they are
    Posted by excuseprincess[/QUOTE]

Provided Charleston County works the same as Greenville County, yes and no. When FI and I went to get our license during our wedding planning trip in June, it was right after the tornado destroyed our apartment (we now live in Joplin, MO) and the last thing we thought about was our social security cards. The lady let us fill out the application and pay the fee and told us to fax our cards (or any proof of SSN) to whoever was picking it up for us. And they let FBIL pick it up so it seems to have worked!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

I do live in Charleston, and both you and your fi have to be there and provide them with either your birth certificate or your ssi

• The marriage license doesn't expire.

Just FYI -- Charleston County has the highest application fee in the state ($75).  It's set by each individual county.  It goes to funding some really good programs there, but if you're trying to save a little money, try Georgetown County ($40, and they accept the application by mail; you both just have to be present to pick up the license).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards