South Carolina

Anyone ever had friends take photos?

My budget is $5k and the photographers on the coast look like they will run me half my budget. Our priority is having good food and a wedding video. Those are the only two things we can spend the bulk of the budget on.

I am considering having three friends with photography hobby addictions do the engagement and wedding photos then have a pro videographer. All three of my friends take great artistic shots but have never worked an event.

Ive seen the suggestions to check craigslist for newbie photogs so I'll check that out today. Have any of you used a newbie for your pics? Did they come out okay?

Have any of you seen examples of non professional wedding pictures?

Thanks!

Re: Anyone ever had friends take photos?

• edited December 2011
    Test out your friends by doing an engagement session. Just ask them to do the engagement session first and see how things turn out. After that you can decide if they would work well at an event. As long as they aren't crawling all over both of you to get shots while you are say your vows, you should be fine.

I wouldn't say anything to them about doing the wedding until you test them out at the engagement session. They might become offended if you decide not to have them do your pictures. Photgraphers get expensive. This might be the way to go!
    Anniversary
  • DemedollDemedoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for your reply. That is a great idea. I can also ask one of my girlfriends to do the boudoir shots and see how everything comes out. If that works well I can see which of the three has a style I would like for the wedding. Smile
  • edited December 2011
    I hate to disagree but this is an area I've had to debate myself. 

I personally am really nervous about the concept of having a friend do my wedding photos.  I understand that your priority is the video, but I'd just be concerned because I know that I want my photos around the house and in an album I can show my grandchildren one day. 

I have a good friend who is an aspiring photographer and although I like her style, she does not have much wedding experience and since she is such a good friend, she knows the majority of the guests.  I think for many people it is hard to differentiate between being a guest and being there to socialize and being there to do a job.  I would love to support her in her aspiring career, but I just can't help but think that we can't re-do the wedding if the pictures are disappointing and the day should be about you and your fiance, not about looking to see where your friend is to make sure they're paying attention when you're cutting your cake.  Maybe a possibility is to hire a pro to cover just a couple of hours (the ceremony and the first hour or so of your reception) in order to catch all of the traditional wedding shots, then have your friend as your "second photographer" to hang around and capture the rest of the evening.

• edited December 2011
    It really depends on their level of experience and understanding of the camera. I like your idea to do that. I'm thinking the same thing with my wedding. I'm more concerned with having a great video that I can relive each moment than just stills. If I have to choose it will be more for a quality video. Good luck!
  • acausey6879acausey6879 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should check out Christa Harder Photography.  She travels to NC, SC, and GA for no additional cost and is very reasonablly priced! Her work is amazing and she is very professional!  (www.christaharder.com)
  • britny622britny622 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My suggestion is to try and find a photographer in your budget. Maybe just use them for a shorter period of time the let your friends capture the rest. Try and decide what the most important part of your wedding is and hire a professional to shoot that. 

Check out Brittany Mauldin Photography they have reasonable prices. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards