Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Do Chairs Matter?

FI and I can't agree on chairs for the ceremony. I would like to go with the nicer, sturdier-looking chairs for $2.85 each and he wants to go with the $1.25 chairs and save us $150 on chairs that will be used for less than 30 minutes. There is something about the look of the $1.25 chairs that I just don't like, so I wanted an outside perspective. What do you think? The first one is $1.25 and the second is $2.85.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do Chairs Matter?

• Options
    I like the second one better, it looks better.
  • Options
    I like the second one too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I also like the second one better.  How formal is your wedding?  If it isn't that formal and you are only using the chairs for your ceremony, I would agree with your FI and save the $$.  If you have room in your budget I would definitely pick #2.  They just look much better.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_chairs-matter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:86bd91af-4eec-454b-90f5-0e082b570b94Post:84d19268-920d-428c-928f-aa8e8f6b8e48">Re: Do Chairs Matter?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also like the second one better.  How formal is your wedding?  If it isn't that formal and you are only using the chairs for your ceremony, I would agree with your FI and save the $$.  If you have room in your budget I would definitely pick #2.  They just look much better.
    Posted by Cynthia1207[/QUOTE]

The wedding is semi-formal. The ceremony will be outdoors and we need to rent chairs to put on the grassy field - the venue has indoor chairs for the reception (they won't allow their chairs to be outside). I agree that they look much better than the first one, but he's very adamant about cutting costs wherever possible.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We used chairs like your second ones,

I didn't hear of any problems from guests.
  • Options
    I would choose the second one. But......the first ones aren't that bad, and if you are looking to save money, you could by choosing the inexpensive chair. I do think that either would look just fine.
  • Options
    I like the second one but will proably go with the first one to save money for my wedding.  I figure they won't be in them long so I will spend my money on the reception and that where my guests will be spending more time.  If you have the money in the budget the second are nice.  
  • Options
    like PP i like the 2nd ones better but to honest i don't remember what the chairs looked like at any wedding i've been too. if you want to save money i think the 1st ones will be totally fine. i'm sure that $150 can be used better elsewhere.
  • Options
    tammy41tammy41 member
    First Comment
    II am having the chairs at my wedding like the ones FL picked.The cheaper ones are more comfortable,they have some softer cush to it and it makes it more comfortable for your guest.You dont have to take my word for it but I am renting the same cheaper chairs and they are very nice white chairs.Dont bicker over the small things after all you dont have much longer to go on your beautiful day,its not worth the arguement.i hope your wedding is a wonderful day for the both of you.I have 106 more days to go.Best Wishes!! Tammy  from jacksonville,florida
  • Options
    I like the look of the 2nd one, but I agree with Lucy that they don't look very comfortable. Also, I don't remember any of the chairs from any of the weddings I've been to. I would probably save money and use the 1st ones. 
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_chairs-matter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:86bd91af-4eec-454b-90f5-0e082b570b94Post:631a5c14-07d8-49be-b562-e08e3f35e759">Re: Do Chairs Matter?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do Chairs Matter? : The wedding is semi-formal. The ceremony will be outdoors and we need to rent chairs to put on the grassy field - the venue has indoor chairs for the reception (they won't allow their chairs to be outside). I agree that they look much better than the first one, but he's very adamant about cutting costs wherever possible.
    Posted by ajroark[/QUOTE]

In that case I would opt fot the first one.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I prefer the 2nd one, but if there is that much of a price difference, then go with option 1. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Like pp have said, I don't think the guests will care which chairs you choose.  But do you plan on hanging decorations from the chairs (flowers)?  Because the first ones, it would be difficult. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image PgAL March Siggy Challenge: Pet Shaming BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree the second is pretty but the first is cheaper and will do the job. They will look nice too.
  • Options
    I'd go with the first ones.  When you walk down the aisle, you won't see the chairs-- you'll see the people you love IN the chairs.  Save the $150, your fiance has the right idea here. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket image Photobucket
  • Options
    If it was my decision it would come to which would I rather look at in my pictures. I'm weird and like all those detailed/strange angled pictures of what everything looked like without people. I would not like to look though my photos at some point far into the future and go "man those are ugly chairs, why did I let him pick?" I would go with the second chair.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_chairs-matter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:86bd91af-4eec-454b-90f5-0e082b570b94Post:7c691e1a-1b09-4c14-92fa-cbaa1bdbf160">Re: Do Chairs Matter?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If it was my decision it would come to which would I rather look at in my pictures. I'm weird and like all those detailed/strange angled pictures of what everything looked like without people. I would not like to look though my photos at some point far into the future and go "man those are ugly chairs, why did I let him pick?" I would go with the second chair.
    Posted by Gingery1[/QUOTE]
    This
  • Options
    We used the second ones (for $3/each!) and had no problems.  But then, we also had no elderly guests.
  • Options
    It looks like the second ones would probably sit a bit better in the grass than the first ones.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    We use the first type of chairs ALL the time for church rentals and when I play outdoor gigs with my professional music groups ... people are used to the typical rental chair.  IMO, you should save the $$ and go with the first ones.  A semi-formal or casual affair would be fine with those chairs.  :-)
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    Best thing to do - test them out on the lawn you'll be using them on.  It takes more time but you might find the better one.  Go for comfort and stability, not looks.  No one will remember what the chair looks like.  Most of your pictures will have the people in the chairs covering them.  People will remember if the legs kept on sinking into the grass, or if aunt Gertie tipped over onto the grass when she sat down.
  • Options
    The  2nd one looks better, but I'd go with the 1st one. Save your money if you can. They'll be decorated and everyone will be too busy looking at you to even think about the chairs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Can't wait until August 14th!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards