Tennessee

alcohol at reception?

The dilemma is.... Parts of his family is Pentecostal and mine is quite the opposite. My family is use to having alcohol at family events/celebrations. I personally would like to have it there for the reception, but at the same time I don't want to offend his family. What do I do?

Re: alcohol at reception?

• edited December 2011
    Go ahead and have it. As long as you don't go too overboard with it, they should be fine. Maybe ask them if it would be okay?! I was having the same problem with my future in-laws! I talked to FI's mom and she said that would be fine with her and really like that I talked to her about it! HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    As everyone has told me "it's your wedding, your day" surely everyone can respect that  go for it!  good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    If you keep it subtle. Just make sure nobody goes over board. I know my family drinks a lot, but they understand that some people dont so the kind of keep it to themselves.
  • caitdanacaitdana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the same problem, but it was my grooms family. We decided to have an early afternoon wedding with a reception in the church reception hall, after that we are going to have some alone time, we live together already, and each of us have a brother coming from over seas on leave so we are going to go out on the town with them. It may not be classy, but we get to celebrate they way they do and respect my family at the same time.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • pulga131pulga131 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know Pentecostals don't drink but I'm not sure with the gravity of drinking in front of them.  In my opinion, its your wedding and your family is paying I assume.  So if you want it you should have it.  No one is forcing them to drink.  Maybe have a cider toast instead of champagne available for them so they can still toast.  Also you can have beer and wine instead of alcohol.  That will keep the drunkenes down so it should not be as offensive.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go with serving.

Purchase cups in your wedding colors that make the drinks less obvious.
    i.e.--Foamy brew in a clear cup.
    Make sure people drink out of these instead of beer bottles.
    Ask the bartender to go easy on drink granishes. (big oranges and cherries sticking out...)
    If it's not in their face alot they may be able to cope with it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards