Tennessee
Options

Moving to Knoxville

I'm looking for some advice from the local ladies of Knoxville. Right after our wedding July 30 we are moving from Wisconsin to Knoxville so my FI (then husband!) can attend UT for grad school. I have never been to the area and was wondering what advice/tips you might have. I am looking for a nursing job, and would love some tips on where I should focus my house/job hunt. 
Thanks for any help!! I can't wait to move to my new home!

Re: Moving to Knoxville

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Covenant Health is the best paying... They have multiple hospitals in the area as well. All of it is done through online applications.

www.covenantcareers.com

MMC (Methodist Medical Center) is in Oak Ridge which is right outside of Knoxville
    Parkwest is in West Knoxville (best area for living and everything really)
    Fort Sanders (basically on UT's campus)

They have some more but they are not in Knoxville technically. Hope this helps!!

We also have some Mercy Medical places (We have a St. Marys North which is in Powell, TN right outside of Knoxville, St. Marys regional which is basically downtown Knoxville.. and some more)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much!! I just got an email interview from covenant so I will be sure to send that back ASAP. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you go for an apartment, you do NOT want to live in any apartment that rents for less than $600 because it likely means you'll be in a bad area. Avoid Ft. Sanders, South Knoxville, and Magnolia Ave. 

H and I are grad students at UT...PM me if you have any more specific questions. :)
    Mrs. Wiggins image
  • Options
    leogirl13leogirl13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are lots of hospitals, Dr's offices, and nursing homes around the area. Thee is a lot of oportunity for home health care if you're interested in that.
    As far as living situation goes you probably don't want to live anywhere downtown o on the east side of the city. I would suggest looking moe toward west knoxville, Harden Valley, Bearden, Northshore, Farragut areas.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for all of the advise!! I can't wait to come down in a few weeks and start the moving process. 
  • Options
    katbikekatbike member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know I'm a little late but will add my 2 cents. 

I don't know much about nursing jobs - but I would say if he is going to be a student you would want to live close. 

I wouldn't move to Ft. Sanders, Mechanicsville, South Knoxville (unless it's Island Home - which is lovely and close), or Park Ridge.

I would recommend old North Knox. Sometimes you can find a great place to live for a great price! I would say don't move anywhere that is less than 500 total. 

Also - downtown can be nice if you find the right place. Dewhirst is a company downtown - mostly likely if you walk-in and explain they will be more than happy to find you a place in your budget. I lived downtown for 4 yrs. Now I live in North Hills. Which is nice but more than a bike ride away from UT area. Also it's more of a neighborhood and family oriented area. 

I would also stay away from the Halls area and Fountain City. The traffic is to horrible for an everyday commute! 

Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards