Tennessee

Memphis Vendor Reviews

I had my wedding a couple of weeks ago and thought I would post some vendor reviews. I always found these helpful so I hope that you do too. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

DJ
DeepBlu Entertainment - A+
  Jimmy was one of my favorite vendors. He was quick to respond to emails, helped set up our music (because we really didn't have too many songs in mind), kept the party going...even my dad (who isn't much into the party scene) commented on what a great job Jimmy did. I thought that he was very reasonable and I couldn't recommend him enough!

Caterer
Hog Wild BBQ/ A Moveable Feast - A
  Ernie was great to work with and I felt that he created a great menu that was well within our budget. He even encouraged me to provide my own alcohol and soda because it would be a lot cheaper than he would be able to charge. Everyone said the food was great (I don't remember too much Smile)! The servers were great as well. There was a minor issue with the bill after the reception but he cleared it up immediately. If you are looking for a great caterer with a lot of variety, give Ernie a call!

Photographer
Amber Rhodes-Lapoint - A+
  I really loved working with Amber. She was SO easy to get in touch with and she takes amazing outdoor photos! She listened to what we wanted and made sure to take all those photos. She also had great ideas and awesome creative insight. Plus, she is just fun to work with!

Cake
Harriet's Creations - B+
   So this was the best wedding cake I have ever had - in fact, it was the best cake that I have ever had. No lie. The reason for the lower grade is three fold. First, it was a bit expensive for what we got; second, the cake was tilted a bit, which isn't the biggest deal but more a point of note; third, we paid extra for something we were told was going to be made of fondant but it was actually make of wire. Small issues, I admit. But it really was a great tasting cake.

Dress
David's Bridal (near Wolfchase) - B
  My experience with them was really ok. I didn't want a train but ended up ordering a dress I liked with a train, with the idea what I would just have it taken off. After ordering the dress, I went home and discovered that that same dress was available without a train. Annoying. But they reordered it without too many problems. To be fair, the dress wasn't a priority for me.

Venue
National Ornamental Metal Museum - A
  I love this venue. It is absolutely beautiful, right on the Mississippi. With the exception of rentals, you can use any vendors that you like, which is nice. Communication was a bit difficult some times but over all, I was really happy with the venue.

Rentals
Mahaffey Tent Rentals - B+
  In fairness, I couldn't shop around for rentals because I HAD to use this vendor (required by the venue). It seemed so expensive but perhaps all rentals were like that. Communication was very difficult at the beginning as a lot of my emails got lost somehow. But they did allow me to change my contract up until the last minute and that was very convenient. Plus, everyone I dealt with was very nice.

Hair/Make Up
Gould's Park Place - A-
  I thought that Gould's did a great job with my hair and makeup. They did charge more than I was originally quoted so that's why the grade was a little lower.

Ceremony Musicians
Simply Strings - A
  I booked this vendor at the last minute. My H really wanted a solo cellist for the ceremony, as did I. Communication was easy and because I didn't really know what I wanted, they created a playlist for me which turned out to be perfect. I just think that they were a little expensive for a hour we had them playing.

Photobooth
www.rentphotobooths.com - D
  We really wanted a photobooth and in the end, we are glad that we had it. However, this website contracts with local photobooth companies so I don't know exactly who we got the photobooth from. They were the cheapest and perhaps you get what you pay for. But they arrived about 2 hours late and were setting up after the reception had started. We had paid for an extra idle hour that was obviously not used. The booth was a bit crappy looking and towards the end of the night, some of the photos on the strips were smearing. They effectively breached the contract but of course, now that we want to talk to them about it, they are not returning our phone calls.

Invitations
Shara's Paperie - A+
  I can't say enough great things about Shara. She was easy to work with, made all the changes that we requested, and took our vision to create amazing invitations. They are not cheap but they are beautiful - we have received SO many compliments on them.

Day Of Coordinator
Kelly - Southern Event Planners - A+
  If I had to do it all over again, I would find the money in my budget to hire Kelly as my wedding planner. She was amazing - within 24 hours of getting all of our contract information, she had contacted all the vendors. She kept the show running and allowed me and my family to just have fun at the wedding reception. I think that this was the best money I spent.

Flowers
Lynn Doyle Flowers - A
  We had several appointments with florists but after we met with Mike, we canceled the other appointments. We had a vision and they were able to perfectly capture it. They were so nice to work with! My bridal bouquet wasn't exactly what I had envisioned but it was still beautiful!

I hope this helps! Like I said, if you have any questions, please let me know!

Re: Memphis Vendor Reviews

• laurabethanylaurabethany member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow! This is fantastic! Thanks! :)
  • laurenfplaurenfp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the reviews.  I just emailed Jimmy! Can't wait for a response!
  • laurenfplaurenfp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the reviews.  I just emailed Jimmy! Can't wait for a response!
  • mwhitson14mwhitson14 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fantastic reviews!! Yaaay for Amber!!
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    THANK YOU!

I'm just starting to plan my Memphis, and this is incredibly helpful. I also want a photobooth-- when looking, did you find any other options, by chance?

Congratulations on your wedding!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JMN2010JMN2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My H did most of the shopping for the photobooth but he mentioned that there were only like 3 options - and the other two were much more expensive than the one we went with.

We did get a $250 refund from the photobooth after we complained about the fact that they were late and the pictures weren't printing correctly. Also, they agreed to reprint any pictures that were smeared. We haven't taken them up on this yet but we intend to.

I am still glad that we had the booth even though I wasn't extremely impressed with their services.
  • edited December 2011
    thanks so much for these reviews!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards