Texas-Austin
Options

Mexican Wedding Cookies

Does anyone know of a bakery that makes good Mexican Wedding cookies?
planning bio
"My favorite color is fluorescent beige."

Re: Mexican Wedding Cookies

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Funny you ask this, because a few weeks ago I scoured the town for mexican wedding cookies to put them in our gift bags for out of towners.  Turns out there are two different kinds.  One is the kind that is made of shortbread, has nuts (pecans or walnuts), and is covered in powdered sugar.  The other kind doesn't have nuts and is covered in cinnamon sugar.

If you want the powdered sugar kind, the best we found was carried by Whole Foods.  The brand is Gianna's (I think, something similar to that) and the are pre-packaged by the dozen in the bakery department (at the Downtown location).  They're made with real butter (rather than shortening, like most others) and they are truly delicious, but pricy.  I think we paid $8 for one dozen. 

We checked the mexican bakeries in town (La Mexicana, Mi Victoria, and Chuy) and they all carried the cinnamon sugar kind.  We really wanted the powdered sugar kind, but we needed 20 dozen and needed them to be cheap, so we asked Mi Victoria (on Burnet Road) to do a special order.  We got the powdered sugar kind, with nuts, for $0.25 each, a good deal if you ask me.

HEB (Hancock location) also carried the cinnamon sugar kind, and in my opinion were better than the mexican bakeries.  The cookies were very light and crispy, almost like a pastry.  They were really inexpensive too.  I think they were around $3 for a box that had probably 1.5-2 dozen small cookies.

Hopefully that info helps!  Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to check out Mi Victoria.
    planning bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Glad I could help!  The "ladyfinger" cookie that they keep in stock is really close to what we ordered--shortbread cookie with nuts, covered in powdered sugar--but it was shaped kind of like a boomerang, and we had them make them into little round cookies.  So, if you try the ladyfinger it will give you an idea of what they taste like. 

• Options
    RJG13RJG13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The cinnamon sugar one, polvorones, are really good and cheap at Fiesta.  I like theirs because they are a little thicker and not as fragile as some others.  When I get them at home, they are super thin and would never survive packaging.  We are doing those for our welcome bags. 
  • Options
    tatnmhbtatnmhb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I thought I was the only one who was looking for these! We just got a quote today from a friend of our cake bakery. We were quoted $80 for the cookies of a "batch". When my mom asked how many were in a "batch" it can be anywhere from 200-300 cookies. If you need any info, let me know. We havent tasted them yet.... but highly recommended by our bakery

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, if you could email me the information, I would truly appreciate it.
    My email address is:

d.porter.86@gmail.com

Thanks!
    planning bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    can you post the name of the cookie baker with the giant 'batch'?
    thanks!
    h.
  • Options
    tatnmhbtatnmhb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hi yall! Sorry I have been so busy- my wedding is in 15 days!

As for the mexican cookies... My mom has worked hard on these and she made a decision to go with HEB on William Cannon and Brodie. They made a special batch for her today to try and she loved them! (I dont have much of a sweet tooth and these are something my mom really wants) :) anyways she told me they were a $1-$2 per pound. I think you have to ask for them to be specially made but you cant beat that price! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards