Texas-Austin

When to book a photographer

Hi everyone, My wedding date is July 24,2010. When's a good time to start booking a photographer? Thanks in advance! Claire

Re: When to book a photographer

• edited December 2011
    As soon as possible. We booked ours 13 months out, which may be necessary if you are interested in a very popular photographer or if you have a very popular wedding date. The earlier, the better!
  • edited December 2011
    Depending on how important photography is to you - the sooner the better! For us, it was my top priority, so it was the first vendor we worked on after we set a date and booked the venue. - so we did that in March of this year and our wedding is April, '10. It took a while to do all the research because of all of the talented photogs in Austin, but I was able to do most of that by looking at their portfolios online, and I wrote down the names of the ones I liked who were in our budget. When I went to the big bridal show at the Palmer Auditorium in Jan. I was able to meet with all but two of the ones I liked, and then made follow up meetings with the ones I liked from that to narrow it down.
    ~ Trish Finfer
    Blog

• edited December 2011
    I am doing the same, venue is not selected - but getting close. I am doing this from long distance. Been looking on line, made a spreadsheet with names, prices, albums, notes of things I like and don't. Have had three phones calls with some that I like on line, one video conference (which was really cool) and when I make the trip out to select, I will have it narrowed down to about three. One photography team I talked with already has 12 weddings booked for next year and as far out as Sept of next year.
  • lynnyrd80lynnyrd80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, as early as possible is the best way to go for photographers.  Good photographers book up early.  We booked ours last September for our July wedding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto pp... start looking now and book ASAP!
    Liz & David | 10/23/09
    Planning Bio

• henderstraushenderstraus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do your research now and book when you find and talk to some one you love. I only had a 9 month engagement so we didn't waste a lot of time booking big vendors, but at the same time talked to nearly every photographer at the bridal expo (in Jan) and no one was booked on our date (sat in sept). We booked Whitney Lee (awesome btw) about 7 months out.
  • may2005may2005 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ASAP.  The first one I wanted was already booked 13 months out.  Luckily my second choice panned out, but it was still more than a year before my wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Y'all make me feel so much better. People thought I was nuts for having a year and a half long engagement. My FIL thinks I'm a psycho bride for doing things this far in advance. No one understands how far out things book in Austin. Glad to know I'm not nuts!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards