Texas-Austin
Options

Still searching for a venue -

Hi ladies  - still searching for a venue for my daughter's wedding reception.  Any feedback on the Phillip's Event Center?  http://www.phillipseventcenter.com/TIA!

Re: Still searching for a venue -

• Options
    atlanticatlantic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sorry, haven't heard of any brides getting married here!
    Photo by Melissa Glynn
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are a few brides getting married there on this board... I'm sure they'll chime in at some point! From what I've heard from them, it's a nice place.
    Liz & David | 10/23/09
    Planning Bio

• Options
    SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I toured it and it is a nice place. No open flames for candles, but other than that, it is a big ballroom and a nice entry way. There are big board rooms that you can get dressed in if you have the ceremony there too. It can be a little tricky to find for OOT guests since it is netled in between a bunch of shipping warehouses, but it really is a nice looking venue. FI didnt like it because the chairs looked uncomfortable. I don't know about that, but I would definitely cover them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    henderstraushenderstraus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Leigha got married there over the summer, but I haven't seen her on here much lately. Reddie is getting married there next year. Try paging her if she doesn't chime in on this thread.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married on the patio there and then having the reception in the ballroom in April. I looked at a LOT of venues and IMO it was the best price for a nice venue in Austin. Plenty of onsite parking, multi-stall bathrooms that are easily accessible, beautiful ballroom and patio backing to trees, tables, chairs & linens included in the rental cost and it is convenient to the highway, multiple hotels and the downtown area without being downtown. Also Debbie & Anna there are great to work with!If you want to know anything specific just let me know: trisha_sumpter at yahoo dot com
    ~ Trish Finfer
    Blog

• Options
    sn2bmrsreddsn2bmrsredd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh wow! i was considering there, its a lovely place just a little more than what i was looking to pay. my friend just married at the Allan House and she loved it!! it was soo pretty there
  • Options
    may2005may2005 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many guests were you planning to invite?  For a small to mid-sized wedding, also check out the Caswell House.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just toured it also... gosh, I just can't find the venue that I am looking for yet. It is big, huge ballroom area - kind of like the Waterford House.  I think that was my problem, felt too big for my 100-150 person wedding. I would LOVE to hear pro's and con's about all the venues the brides on this board have selected. I don't want too rustic (born and raised in Texas, but just can't do the rustic look), too big, too expensive, no AC, all outside, too limiting... help!!
  • Options
    meganrosejmeganrosej member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you checked out the Vista on Seward Hill? I've yet to see another bride on here besides myself get married there, but I thought it was really lovely, not too expensive, and the people who own it were great to work with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    kellster22, mercury hall or allan house might be good options for you. both are indoors and outdoors and allow you to bring in whatever caterer you want and your own alcohol. i'm not sure what your price range is. i found them to be more than what i budgeted for, but if you do an off month they are lower in price. green pastures is great too, though you do have to use their catering and alcohol. caswell house is a good price and good for smaller weddings...also allow your own caterer and you can bring your own alcohol. good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out nature's point. It's on the lake in Lago Vista and very resonably priced (esp. compared to other venues on the lake). You have to use one of 4 caterers - there's one in every price range - we chose pok-e-jo's who has a fabulous wedding menu! You can bring in your own alcohol & the venue is so pretty there's not much decorations needed. Check out the website - the pictures don't do it justice, you really have to go out there - it's soo pretty & Lindsay the wedding coordinator is awesome!! naturespoint.com
  • Options
    jennbabyromjennbabyrom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just booked my wedding at Ruby Ranch in Buda. We plan to have the rehearsal dinner, ceremony and reception there. It's a great place and you can't beat the price.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Allan House: Really liked the look and feel. The girls were super helpful, too. I was a little worried about a rain plan though. I didn't want my guests to have to sit under a tent if it rained and the house isn't big enough to fit 150 people in. The parking situation seemed like it'd be a pain. So pretty though! Barr Mansion: I loved the look of this place, but it was a little out of my budget with the organic food, etc. Probably one of the most beautiful venues in Austin. Villa Antonia: Pretty! Great view! Expensive, a little over done, and I didn't want my guests to have to drive down that terrible road. The owner was a bit too over the top for my tastes. So enthusiastic! Haha. AMOA Laguna Gloria: This place is really pretty, but the staff was really unhelpful and not at all friendly. Pricey too. LBJ Wildflower Center: This is the one we decided on. I love the look and feel of the place. Plus, there's a great rain plan indoors. The events coordinator isn't the kind of guy to go out of his way to help you out, but the weekend manager is so great! Working with their catering list was a little tricky, but we've finally found someone within our budget. There are so many options in Austin. I had to stick with just visiting 5 or I would have been overwhelmed. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips, I will check these venues out. I have to make a decision soon!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had my wedding at the Phillips Event Center and it worked out great for us.  The ceremony was on the patio and the reception was in the ballroom.  It's not so picturesque from the outside but it suited our purposes great and it was decently priced.As for candles - two years ago at my wedding we had a ton of candles with open flames - so maybe they've changed their policy since then?My only complaints were that they have a 10% fee if you use an outside caterer and I think their bartending service wanted to charge us $0.50/pp for ice which is absurd.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nidbit - they have changed their terms a lot since then actually. When we signed they were taking over management from a third party and updated their entire contract. No open flames like tapers, but candles inside a glass are fine (tealights, hurricanes, etc.) and there is no fee for outside caterers or bar service. Also, the trees and flowers have all filled in a lot on the outside there so the patio is really lovely in the spring and summer.
    ~ Trish Finfer
    Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards