Texas-Austin

Venue ideas for strict budget

Hey Knotties,

I’ve been reading these posts over the last few days and they have been so helpful! Any suggestions you can give for my situation would be great. My FI and I have decided we don’t want to spend more than $3k for our wedding. Our initial ideas are a late Friday night ceremony around 8pm followed by cocktail/dessert reception. After reading a few other boards I’m thinking of adding some hors d’oeuvres since I don’t want just sugar and alcohol to be all anyone consumes. I need help with some venue ideas, I’m looking for a place that we can have the ceremony and the reception at the same location. It would need to be somewhere that would let us provide our own food and alcohol. Also since this wedding will most likely take place in December (May 2011 is second choice) it wouldn’t need to be an outdoor location or a location with a view since it will already be dark at that time of year.  Oh and our guest count will be around 100. Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Venue ideas for strict budget

• sheadaysheaday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is $3k for the entire wedding (venue, food, photog, etc) or just $3k for the venue and food? $3k for an entire wedding doesn't seem doable IMO.

A couple places that come to mind are Chapel Dulcinea which is a free ceremony site and they allow you to do cake and punch on the grounds, but no other food. They have quite a few time slots available for Dec but I think you're limited to 2hrs.

Also, there are the city parks- Zilker Clubhouse, Mayfield Park, Fiesta Gardens that rent for $1000-1200ish depending on which site you pick.
  • edited December 2011
    Chapel Dulcinea can't fit 100 people. According to their website, there's seating room for 12. If you want a standing reception, it can fit 30-35. 

Unfortunately, I agree with pp, $3k seems like a really small budget if it is for everything  (attire, flowers, dj, food, drinks, photog, venue, etc). 

Here's a few general ideas that may help:
    -Non-floral centerpieces- lemons, limes, or apples in vases
    -iPod instead of DJ
    -Cake and punch reception
    -Backyard reception
    -Have a friend get ordained and perform the ceremony
    -Get your dress at a sample sale or the Brides Against Breast Cancer sale
    -Suits instead of tuxes
    -No favors
    -Beer and wine rather than a full bar... or don't have a bar at all (NO MATTER WHAT, DO NOT HAVE A CASH BAR).
    -Have the wedding on a non-peak day, i.e. Thursday, Friday, or Sunday
    -Don't have a wedding party, or if you do have a wedding party, try to minimize it as much as possible... extra bridesmaids=extra bouquets. 
    -Skip programs
    -DIY wedding invites (the kits at Michael's and Target are really cute and affordable)
    -DIY hair and makeup. If you have your wedding on a Thursday or Friday, you can probably go to the beauty school and get one of the students to do your hair. 

I hope that helps!
    planning bio
    "My favorite color is fluorescent beige."
  • edited December 2011

The 3k is for the entire wedding. This is all we are willing to spend on a wedding which is why we are having it on Friday night and having a late reception (no big meal) I should have added that I do have help when it comes to other aspects of the wedding, my friend's sister will be doing the photography (she is a professional wedding photographer) as a very minimal cost to us as a favor. My mom owns a beauty salon so hair and make up are taken care of. Another friend of friend will be an officiant, I have a friend who does interior designing and event planning so she will be helping decorate and letting me have access to her collection of decorations for the event. Bridesmaids will not have bouquets. We are planning on having an Itunes reception as I'm thinking more along the lines of "cocktail pary" than typical reception. Same for wedding attaire - will be non typical, I'm looking at short dresses / groom will be wearing suit he already owns.

I ruled out Chapel Dulcinea for a couple of reasons - time of year, size and b/c I want the whole event to take place at one location. Right now my biggest problem is finding a venue that doesn't charge my whole budget to rent.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I have to disagree with previous posters, a wedding of any budget is doable, it just depends where you spend your money. I would suggest looking at family and friends' houses as a venue because it'd be free. I think backyard weddings have such a wonderful charm about them.

My father recently re-married and had a backyard wedding on NYE and it was gorgeous. He doesn't live in a particularly fabulous house but he covered all of his trees in white Christmas lights and it really added a beautiful ambience to the place. Other than that he just had tables with black and white linens with candle centerpieces. He served food buffet-style from one of his favorite restaurants.  

Similarly, my uncle recently re-married in a backyard wedding and it was wonderful. I have pictures at this link http://kelsmcrae.blogspot.com/2009/11/wedding-wednesday.html

There is also a website called 2000 Dollar Wedding about a couple who had a wedding on $2,000 and they also share money-saving ideas and tips for weddings. Definitely check it out. http://2000dollarwedding.com/

One of my favorite blogs, Young House Love, also had a backyard wedding on a budget. Check out their pictures here http://www.younghouselove.com/wedding-album/.

GL planning and just know it's definitely doable!
  • edited December 2011
    The Farm on Peach Creek- http://www.thefarmonpeachcreek.com/weddings.php- $1700 for weddings up to 150 people.

From what I remember, House on the Hill was relatively reasonably priced.

planning bio
    "My favorite color is fluorescent beige."
  • laleighmoorelaleighmoore member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just found this place on craigslist today but it is ALL outdoor
    www.fizbinfarms.com
    It would be expensive to plan for bad weather bc a tent rental is close to $1k for that many guests.
    Be weary of Austin PARD as they have a lottery process for their facilities.
    There is a free park in Johnson City with a pavillion for the reception and a LARGE BBQ pit to use but it is day-use only so you'd have to leave by dark and there is no public consumption of alcohol, they may not allow it to be served at all even if its kept in koozies (Pedernales River Nature Park).

Hope some of this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • reddswifeyreddswifey member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i sent you a pm with an idea but the further i read in comments it may not work for you...sorry
  • Glojar23Glojar23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is a Venue called Windermire in Pflugerville that seats 250 guest or more, there rental fee for a friday is $500.00 www.windermire.com
  • edited December 2011
    Check out Casa Rio De Colores close to Georgetown.  The site is here.
    http://www.casariodecolores.com/

My Fi and I went out here for a birthday party and the website def does not do the place justice.  It's owned by the people who run "Lucy in Disguise."  So the place has a very eclectic, kitchy and original style.  It's a little part venue right along the river.  You get private river access.  They let you bring your own food and alcohol.  They even provide ipod hookups, offer satellite radio and stage where a band can set up, along with a ton of space.  A total gem.  I think it's 750 flat to rent out.  They have some really neat, air conditioned cabins (w/ modern amenities) onsite, so some of your guests have a place to crash. 
  • may2005may2005 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try the Caswell House -- it's decorated at Christmas time so that would cut down on decorating costs.

We married there.  I had wanted a Christmas wedding but opted for May, since DH's relatives were from NJ.  I was afraid that if there were a blizzard up north that they might not make it for the wedding.

You can bring in your own alcohol too. 
  • edited December 2011
    I highly recommend the Caswell House - I am getting married there in less than 2 weeks. They are very nice and helpful. They rent furniture and have a house manager that can bartend.

I am doing my wedding for $4k - I used Whole Foods Market for catering and Heather Curiel (http://www.heathercurielweddings.com/) is our amazing photographer.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards