Texas-Austin

Where to go after the reception

Hi, knotties!

We are having our reception at a venue close to downtown, but the party has to be over by 10pm. We figured that although this is a bit of a bummer, hopefully we could just continue the party elsewhere in downtown Austin. I don't want our friends walking around aimlessly after the wedding, though, so ideally we would have somethind pre-arranged for once the recption is over. Does anyone have any ideas about where to go after the wedding and how to go about arranging that with the bar? We want to make sure we're not all standing in line somewhere adn that there's enough room for everyone.

Any insight at all would be helpful! Thanks!

Re: Where to go after the reception

• edited December 2011
    I would check somewhere in the warehouse district and see if you can reserve a few tables. Depending on what time of year you're getting married it would be great to do roof top bottle service, unless it's the middle of summer and outside would be the last place you'd want to be.
  • edited December 2011
    If you give us the time of year and location, then we might be able to provide some better suggestions . . . otherwise I think Kayla is definitely heading in the right direction on this one :)
  • edited December 2011
    Ooh ooh, I would reserve the rooftop at Union Park on west 6th.  Here is the link to the site and some photos.

http://unionparkaustin.com/photos/life-at-union-park

I remember thinking at one point that I would have wanted to reserve that if we had an engagement party, but we didn't.  There are great views of the city up there and a private bar.  Very cool feel to it.  I would serve some late night snacks too.  Hope that helps!

• christinaineschristinaines member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone! Our wedding would be the Sunday of Memorial Day next year, May 27 at the Umlauf Sculpture Gardens.

Our dinner and dancing portion of the wedding would only be about 3 or so hours, so we are trying to decide whether having to be out of there by 10pm is a deal breaker or just a hurdle that we'll have to creatively overcome. Not sure if an "official" after-party is in the budget, but I feel like it must be possible to get a keg at a bar nearby. 
    How long were your receptions, or, more specifically, how long did you have to just dance and drink and be merry?
  • edited December 2011

We'll have a cocktail hour and then the reception will be about 3 hours.  We have to have guests out by 10 so vendors and clean up can be done by 11.  We aren't planning an after party because our flight for our honeymoon is at 7:45am the next day.  I guess it depends on the group too. My FI and I aren't big partiers or drinkers, so an after party for us wouldn't really be necessary anyway.

If you're looking for something a little more budget friendly, you could pick a place and just tell people that's where your going to hang out after the wedding, that way no one is expecting you to buy them more drinks or food. Or try googling BYOB Austin, quite a few results came back and maybe one of those locations would make it afforable enough for you to host an after party.

• edited December 2011
    this weekend we went searching around for places, and found the Cedar Door on brazos and 2nd? i think? they told us we could reserve as much of the patio or a back rom as we wanted as long as we called and worked it out with them in advance. i think we will do this for our June wedding...probably 15-20 of us are going to go out after the reception, so this wil be perfect
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards