Texas-Austin

Need help thinking outside of the box

Hey girls!

I'm new to the Austin board, because I'm only kind of an Austin bride - I'll be getting married this August in Spain (destination wedding for me, home for FI), so there is very little I will actually be having to get done here in town.

One thing we had been hoping to do was to have some kind of small party back here, after the wedding, for all our friends and relatives stateside who won't be able to make it to Spain. However, the more we planned the Spain wedding (we were there over the holidays to do most of the planning), the smaller the Austin party got. For us it was an easy decision to spend most of our resources on the actual wedding and reception, but we'd still like to do something in Austin in September.

My question is...what do we do?? We were thinking something along the lines of a catered party at our apartment complex's party room - but no alcohol is allowed. We can't afford to reserve some kind of venue, AND pay for everyone's meal, and we really wanted the party to be fun, relaxed, and not an additional stress for us. Any ideas?? We were thinking about 40 people would come/be invited...I'd so appreciate hearing your original, thoughtful ideas!!

-Cindy

Re: Need help thinking outside of the box

• 40 people is about half of the guests that made it to our wedding. I think that's a lot of people.

If you are set on having alcohol then you could have a picnic/ bbq/ cook out at a park/ by the lake. I see nothing wrong with having it at the apartments club room minus the alcohol. I am sure people would still have a good time celebrating. Maybe going to a pizza place would work too. Just have a couple of kinds of pizzas, Beer and wine. If anyone wants a mixed drink they would have to pay for it themselves. If you do this just be sure the waiters and your guests know what is and isnt provided.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you are looking for inexpensive and a lot of DIY, look up the Wizard Academy. Its right outside of Austin, has an adorable little chapel on a hilltop and then a reception area. They rent everything for free in support of your commitment to eachother but they get booked far in advance so you should look now!

Good luck!

• It seems the chapel and reception associated with the Wizard Academy do not allow food OR alcohol - cake only! And I think you're probably not allowed to picnic at the lake with alcohol - open container laws? Anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks for your ideas, girls :) The search continues!
  • Carnios told us that they would let us use their private room for free and they would give us catering prices. It works out food wise to be less than 10 dollars a head and they have a bar so guests could pay thier own tabs.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards