Texas-Austin
Options

Hairstylist and Makeup Recommendations

Who would you recommend for hair and makup?  I would love to get ready onsite (Mansion at Judges Hill) but if we have to, we can be at a salon.  There will be three bridesmaids, two flowergirls, two mothers, and myself.
dscf4745-2
Anniversary

Re: Hairstylist and Makeup Recommendations

• Options
    Well, I had my hair done at JcPenny and my makeup done with Chelsea at The Body Shop at the mall.She was amazing. I know you are looking for on site, sorry I cant help with that.
  • Options
    You should ask around the makeup counter at the mall or dept stores like macys. I found a few girls there who do freelance makeup work but havent picked anyone for the day just yet.
  • Options
    I am actually wondering the same! I've read good things about Green Alley Hair Salon and Orbit Salon, but haven't actually heard anyone on the boards talk about them. Since I'm a newbie to Austin, I'd love to hear more about other people's experiences/recommendations!
  • Options
    Jenmfernandez, welcome to Austin!  You'll love it here.  How long ago did you land in this great city?

I've never heard of Green Alley or Orbit so I'll have to check them out.  I've looked into a few of the different vendors listed on this site, and they are all coming back at around $1k for onsite hair and makeup for 6 adults and 2 flower girls.  I think that is a bit high, but I guess if they are all charging that, then it's the norm.  I'm thinking I might just stick with the salon that I go to for haircuts and color, Keep Austin Gorgeous, but another girl posted on here saying that she had a horrible experience with them.  I've been extremely happy with my stylist since the first time I went there, so it's a little conflicting.

This is turning out to be more stressful than it should be, and since I have time (Wedding in October) I think I am just going to step away and come back to this later.

Let me know who you decide to go with.  You wedding is fast approaching, so hopefully you'll have some luck figuring this out sooner rather than later :)
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Erica Gray is excellent and will do onsite.
  • Options
    Umm, I wouldn't recommend Erica Gray. She actually stood me up for an appointment.
    Ana Bazan with Beauty Mark Agency did an amazing job for my trial, bridal portraits, and day of. She does travel. She can also get you in touch with Courtney Campbell for hair. Good luck!!
    Melanie
  • Options
    Well, I had no problems with her, doing both a trial and the onsite day at Texas Old Town.
  • Options
    Hi ystaalenburg! We moved to Austin about 10 months ago and, sad to say, I've only trusted my hair to one stylist snice I've been here. Not the best experience. Wihich is why I'm completely lost on the day-of hair search. :) 

I asked a few vendors for recommendations and they gave me the names of two additional stylists - Jeni Hoover at Pearl Hair and Shannon Carr at West End Salon - so now that the holidays are over, I'm going to add those two to my call list in addition to the two I listed above. 

I agree this is much more stressful than it should be, but your hair is a big part of your overall bridal look. It's good we're doing our research. I'll let you know what I hear as far as pricing, etc. :)
  • Options
    jenmfernandez - I've lived her for 14 years and I still haven't been able to find a stylist that I love!  It's a never ending battle, it seems.

I contacted Erica Gray and we exchanged a few emails.  In the last email, she told me she would get back to me with her contract and set up an appointment asap, and after 3 weeks of not hearing back from her, I told her I was no longer interested due to her lack of communication.  She sent an email back 5 minutes later saying "Sorry and best of luck"!  I couldn't believe it - you have an interested potential client and you are basically throwing it down the drain.  Oh well, her lose.

Please do let me know if you find anyone that seems good enough.  I have a friend that is graduating beauty school in September and she said that she would do my hair, but I'm not too crazy about how she does makeup.  She said she would come over and we could experiment, so we'll see how that goes.  I just really hope that it works out with her, because I have no idea how I am going to tell her no if I don't like it... :-/
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I am using Angela with Lucie Marie and she is so great! I had my trial done a couple of weeks ago and she did a great job! She works out of her house and is willing to travel anywhere :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards