Texas-Austin
Options

opinion on alcohol

Hi everyone. I am wanting to get ideas and opinions on alcohol served at our wedding reception. 

Background: 
* second wedding for both of us
* we are light drinkers (occasional beer/wine with dinner)
* we are both in our early 40s as are the majority of our guests, so passed the "party scene" age
*63 guests
*evening reception with dinner and dancing
*Of the 63 guests, 40 are nondrinkers ... including 20 kids/teens (yes ... this is our second wedding and all of our friends have older kids!) / 16 are light drinkers and only about 7 would be classified moderate/heavier drinkers ... so really only about 1/3 will have a drink

Money is really not an issue for us ... but we just feel it is a waste to pay $30/per person, regardless of whether the person drinks or not ... for an open bar package for the evening. At the same time, we want to it to be a festive, fun celebration since we have dancing ... but responsible and not so out-of-hand for families to enjoy (and nondrinkers). Some ideas we have tossed around:

*have open bar by consumption during cocktail hour (beer/wine/soft drinks), then have waiters offer wine ... or have bottles of wine ... at the tables for dinner ... champagne/sparkling cider toast (I like this idea the best ... just seems classy ... and the focus isn't on the alcohol, but we don't appear cheap)

*have an open bar the entire night by consumption up to a certain limit (say $1000) ... then close the bar down ... have the champagne for toasting

*don't have any alcohol except for champagne toast

*we thought about a cash bar, but that seems tacky

Any thoughts on this are appreciated! 
Lisa

Re: opinion on alcohol

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the first option.
    planning bio
    "My favorite color is fluorescent beige."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think having the bottles of wine on the table is a great idea.  That way people who would like a glass of wine with dinner have an option.  One thing about the champagne toast is that people who are not drinkers will likely not drink more than a sip, so that will be a huge waste if you actually decide to do champagne.  Another option or simply a toast with whatever guests have handy is an option.
  • Options
    AggieDanerAggieDaner member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with dapo2004, the first option sounds like the best to me. Another idea is just to limit your bar to certain beers, wines, and maybe one or two mixed drink options. Most of the weddings I have been to have gone that way, and everyone had a good time and appreciated not having to deal with a cash bar.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the first and second options. I would also suggest not having the champagne toast... most of it will likely go to waste. Or offer it, but don't pass it... make an announcement, and if people WANT it, they can go get it from the bar. Then you will only be charged for the bottles they open. DH and I had sparkling cider for our toasts (I don't like champagne), and everybody else refilled whatever they were drinking.

At our wedding, we bought a certain amount of beer and wine (as much as we could afford), and the bar menu said "served during cocktail hour and into the evening, while supplies last". Plus most of our guests didn't drink, so it worked out. In hindsight, we needed more wine and less beer, but it was still fine.
    Liz & David | 10/23/09
    Planning Bio

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay ... so open bar cocktail hour (beer/wine/soft drinks only)...

Wine on tables at dinner ... do you think having 1 bottle of wine at each table is enough? I wanted to do 1 red and 1 white ... but I've read that for tables of 8 it is a real waste of alcohol (especially at the table that has 1-2 drinkers)! I guess people could redistribute the bottles to different tables .. would that be tacky?
  • Options
    sarainaustinsarainaustin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're considering doing the "up to" package for our wedding.  In other words, we're going to say "We're willing to spend 500 on alcohol... then after that it goes to cash"  But we're only providing beer, wine and margs for guests.  If they want anything other than that, they have to pay cash.

I know it seems ooberly tacky, but we really considered the guests that were coming and most of them aren't serious drinkers.  And the ones who are (the ones closer to our age) understand that we are BROKE and paying for it ourselves.  So they don't expect us to go all crazy on their alcohol.  Our friends would understand and I advise any of your guests to do the same! =) After all they're at your wedding, so they should understand your situation!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards