Oklahoma
Options

How far apart are your wedding and reception venues? Suggestions?...

My FI and I are getting married at our church but going to have the reception elsewhere due to time and space constraints. (2 hrs. max and no room for dancing/DJ) The only problem is the church and the place we are looking having our reception is a 20 to 30 minute drive depending on the route you take and traffic. Is that too much to ask our guests to drive? (Our budget won't allow us to provide transportation for our guests.) If you are having your reception in a different place than your ceremony, how far apart are they? Also, if you haver any recommendations for a reception venue close to the Mercy hospital area, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank so much! ~Sarah

Re: How far apart are your wedding and reception venues? Suggestions?...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We got married in a chapel so our reception hall was attached.  FI's cousin had her reception about 15-20 minutes away from their wedding venue, and I've been to a couple of weddings where the reception was at least a 10-15 minute drive.  I don't really think 20-30 minutes is too far for people to drive, but do take your guests into consideration as far as how long they'll end up waiting for you to arrive.  Will you be taking pictures after the ceremony?  at the wedding site or will you wait until you get to the reception site?  A friend of mine had her reception about 10 minutes away from the wedding venue, but we ended up waiting on her and the groom for an HOUR before they got to the reception--not fun for the guests.
  • Options
    lizardrach812lizardrach812 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we're getting married at epiphany catholic church on britton and rockwell, and our reception is at 50 penn place. they're about 10-15 minutes away when you factor in traffic. i don't think the commute is a big issue, but you might want to provide some finger foods and beverages while the guests wait on you to arrive if you're taking photos and stuff. i told our photgrapher ahead of time that we want to keep the formal photos to a minimum..just a few of the family and a few of the bridal party, etc. we much prefer the candids at the reception. as long as you keep an eye on time, it should be fine :)
  • Options
    lmf2010lmf2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think the drive is that big of a deal.  I went to a wedding this summer where the ceremony was in Edmond, and the reception was in bricktown.  it was about a 20-30 min drive.  The ONLY problem was they took a ton of pictures after the ceremony, the groom had car trouble getting to the reception, and then for some reason, they hung around in the waiting space at the reception for quite a while (when the photographer posted pics from their wedding, there were even pics of the bride and groom in there...so i know they were there).  by the time they finally came out about an hour to an hour and a half later, most the food was gone, and everyone was a little put off.I second keeping an eye on time.  But I don't think the drive is that big of a deal.  especially when your in a city.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    virgo6256virgo6256 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Trust me. People won't mind. It will give you time to take pictures and then get to the reception. I've been in weddings with the ceremony and reception at the same place as well as separately. It's not a big deal to drive between the 2.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the Dominion House in Guthrie so our ceremony and reception venue are the same.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards