Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Anyone doing a dance down the aisle instead of a walk?

I'm sure we've all seen the YouTube video of the couple who had their wedding party dance down the aisle to Chris Brown's "Forever" song. (If not, check it out. It looks like it was a ton of fun.) Anyway, has anyone done this or is planning on doing something similar? FH wants to do this, to Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" and since we're having a rock themed wedding, I'm fine with that.

Re: Anyone doing a dance down the aisle instead of a walk?

• Yes, we all saw the youtube video, and talked about how cheesy it was, and how disrespectful it was of the church.

If you're not in a church, whatever.  You can be as goofy as you want to.  But if you're thinking of doing this in a religious place, that's wrong.
  • If it's in a church i agree with the others and say no.  If you're elsewhere and have some moves go right on ahead who's going to stop you? 
  • If you do proceed PLEASE make sure that your entire wedding party is ok with this. I would not be. I would be embarrassed and humiliated, and would consider dropping out of the wedding party.
  • It has been done.

I think it's no longer original so people wouldn't think it's funny. It would look unoriginal and look like you are trying too hard to be funny.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Exactly - everyone's seen the video already, so yours is going to come off as a ripoff.  If you do choose to do this, please make sure everyone in your WP is okay with it.  A lot of people wouldn't be.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • We aren't using the same song. We definitely aren't going to be in a church. And it was actually the BMs ideas to do it. FH was all for it. It was me that took some convincing. But like I said, we're doing a whole rock themed wedding, so I figured what the heck.
  • I think dancing down the aisle is kinda cheesy and has been done to death at this point.  If you want to do something rock-themed, why not have your attendants wear shades or carry guitars instead of bouquets?  Not that that ISN'T cheesy...but at least it might be different. :)

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • It doesn't matter if it is a different song, you would have never had the idea to do it if not for the youtube video, which = cheesy and already done.
    imageimageimage
  • We are doing a traditional walk down the aisle.  My priest would probably have a heart attack if I even suggested dancing down the aisle or using non-classical/non-religous music.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Aerosmith, "Walk this Way?!"

OP - please take a moment and google the lyrics to that song.  I beg you.  Then come back and tell me that's appropriate for anything other than a karaoke dive bar.
  • I'll be the odd one out - I think it's a fun idea as long as your wedding party likes the idea, and you pick a good song! Plus, I think it takes a unique couple/WP to pull it off - I don't think just anyone can take this idea and make it work!  I could care less if someone else did it, who cares, it doesn't mean you can't have fun with the idea and add your own twist to it! I really liked the wedding on YouTube to "Forever" - I think it was very cute and fun! They did a good job pulling it off though!

I agree that your song choice doesn't seem very appropriate for a wedding!
  • [QUOTE]Please. No. I'd drop out of the wedding party if a bride asked me to do it. I think it may look cute now, but you will regret it.[/QUOTE]

Please read my posts. I said it was the wedding party's idea, not mine. I didn't ask them to do it.

And yes, the lyrics are ridiculous. I had never paid a bit of attention to them before the post telling me to google them, and I'm glad I did. When I mentioned it to FH, he said it would be strictly instrumental if we even went with that song at all. I think he just likes the guitar sounds in it. (But either way, thanks for pointing that out to me!)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_anyone-doing-dance-down-aisle-instead-of-walk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:972b75c0-3301-40fc-947c-86097f929f3ePost:bda3604a-cd27-4925-a17b-77bf8cede1ab">Re: Anyone doing a dance down the aisle instead of a walk?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Please read my posts. <strong>I said it was the wedding party's idea, not mine</strong>. I didn't ask them to do it. And yes, the lyrics are ridiculous. I had never paid a bit of attention to them before the post telling me to google them, and I'm glad I did. When I mentioned it to FH, he said it would be strictly instrumental if we even went with that song at all. I think he just likes the guitar sounds in it. (But either way, thanks for pointing that out to me!)
    Posted by Niks A one day[/QUOTE]

<div>No, you said it was your bridesmaid's idea, and PP was referring to the other members of the wedding party that might not be comfortable with it. </div><div>
    </div><div>Honestly, instrumental or not, I don't think you will find many people who will think your idea is a good one.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Weird.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • No, we are just walking.  I would never dance down the aisle. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Please don't do this, at least not at the ceremony. Even at the reception I find it awful, but much better than at the ceremony.
  • tracy_ktracy_k member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_anyone-doing-dance-down-aisle-instead-of-walk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:972b75c0-3301-40fc-947c-86097f929f3ePost:ea3b70fa-1d26-403f-a648-850f11ff3f3b">Re: Anyone doing a dance down the aisle instead of a walk?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, we all saw the youtube video, and talked about how cheesy it was, and how disrespectful it was of the church. If you're not in a church, whatever.  You can be as goofy as you want to.  But if you're thinking of doing this in a religious place, that's wrong.
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

I generally agree that it's a bad idea in principle, but if the church has no problem with it being "disrespectful," I don't see why anyone else should have a problem with it.

Edited to add: Don't many/most churches require that you have the music approved in advance?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_anyone-doing-dance-down-aisle-instead-of-walk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:972b75c0-3301-40fc-947c-86097f929f3ePost:654dedf9-8cea-43eb-8b68-8f3c1957377c">Re: Anyone doing a dance down the aisle instead of a walk?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Edited to add: Don't many/most churches require that you have the music approved in advance? MUSIC is a little different than DANCE MOVES.  And, no, most of the churches I've been involved with just tell you the guidelines and expect that as an adult about to be married you have enough respect and common sense to follow said guidelines.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Good point.

I give too many people the benefit of the doubt... I would never even imagine a scenario in which someone wouldn't run this kind of dumb idea by the folks in charge at the church beforehand, but given the levels of stoopid in the world, I guess it's pretty likely.
  • Themes - if you must have them - are for receptions.  And birthday parties.  Not for ceremonies.  The theme of your ceremony should be marriage ;)  Anything else just seems contrived, less than serious, and immature.

And I think you'll regret it down the road.  Sorry, but that's my humble opinion of ceremony dances :(

• Aside from being stupid it has been done before.  I didn't like the "original" but at least it was something that I'd never seen before (and probably not the original anyway).  Anything else is just an uber-lame rip.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_anyone-doing-dance-down-aisle-instead-of-walk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:972b75c0-3301-40fc-947c-86097f929f3ePost:0e2f626e-3c7c-4733-b899-78e4a92f4fcc">Re: Anyone doing a dance down the aisle instead of a walk?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Themes - if you must have them - are for receptions.  And birthday parties.  Not for ceremonies.  The theme of your ceremony should be marriage ;)  Anything else just seems contrived, less than serious, and immature. And I think you'll regret it down the road.  Sorry, but that's my humble opinion of ceremony dances :(
    Posted by ExpatPumpkin[/QUOTE]

I second.
  • The way I see it is that it's your wedding and if you think its a great idea then go for it! You only get married for the first time ONE Time so y not make it memorable! I plan on doing it at my wedding but with a twist on it and i dont care what others think about it bc its my wedding day and the people I invite know the type of people we are so they get why we would do something like dance instead of just walk... If you feel like you want to and it will be a great time then go ahead! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards