Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Asking a family member to become an ordained minister?

Hi all,

FI and I are having a hell of a time finding a wedding officiant within our budget so we were tossing around the idea of asking a family member to become an ordained minister. Has anyone does this or have any experience?

I've heard of websites that will ordain someone but I don't know much about it. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Asking a family member to become an ordained minister?

• Yep you're right, sorry my phrasing was incorrect. We don't want a religious ceremony.
  • My BIL used themonestary.org (Universal Life Church) I believe to become certified to perform wedding ceremonies.  I loved that he did our wedding and he did an awesome job. 

Ditto CMGr that you need to make sure of your state laws and requirements. 
  • Neither FI or I are religious so we opted to do this. It is going to be much more meaningful and special to us than someone we dont know. FI sister is doing the ceremony and she just goggled it until she found a website to get the officiant license.
    The difficult part was writing our own ceremony from scratch, but again it will be more meaningful
  • Definitely make sure they are comfortable speaking in front of a group. Not sure how big your wedding will be, but it's something to take into consideration.
  • In Response to Re:Asking a family member to become an ordained minister?:[QUOTE]Some states, like CA, offer programs where they deputize people temporarily to serve as civil officiants. This might also be an option. As PPs have said, your first stop will be the County Clerk's website or phone to find out what is allowed where you will be getting married. GL! Posted by Schatzi13[/QUOTE]
    Ditto this. We had a family friend "deputized" and it was perfect for us. Check with the county where the ceremony will be.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards