Oklahoma
Options

State Capitol weddings?

I have a few questions for those of you who have gotten married in the Capitol, or know someone who has.  I've read the information on the website and am considering doing my ceremony there. 
Did you have a DOC set up the chairs or did someone in your family do it?  Do they move the chairs NEAR the area for you, or do you have to carry them all the way from some basement storage facility?
The chairs there are $2 each (I'd need 50), and I imagine they are the basic grey folding chairs.  Does anyone have any idea what the going rate for chair rentals from a outside wedding rental place would be.

Where did the bridal party stand before walking down the aisle?  Would an ipod with speakers work at all?

Thanks for your help!

Re: State Capitol weddings?

• Options
    edited December 2011

I also had a question for capitol weddings.
    The state website says that besides the father and daughter dance  and first dance there is no dancing allowed. I was just curious if anybody has been to any weddings at the Capitol where this rule was ignored???? If people went ahead and danced the night away?

• Options
    MrsWarinerMrsWariner member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The wedding I went to at the State Capitol had NO dancing at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know that the highway patrol is there for security, so I'm not sure I'd ignore any rules.  We were actually just thinking of having the ceremony there and the reception downtown.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I had read one post some where online where an individual said her cousin or friend had a wedding there and broke all the rules. I by no means do I want to break all the rules.. Just the dancing one :-)  But I didn't know how that was possible because of the security officer there.

NMsooner girl- One thing I will comment to you on is the SC has no air cond. My momo and I went and looked at it on a sunday morning in August and it was HOTTTTTTT in there. I wouldnt recomend a summer wedding in that place. ITS SOOO gorgeous though. I'd love to have my wedding there.. i just wish there wasnt so many rules.
    The chairs I saw there were just ugly plain jane metal chairs.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Nicole, thanks for the heads up about the AC.  That REALLY surprises me.  I figured I'd probably splurge on some white garden chairs if we get married there....and maybe a small arch or something to make it look more weddishing...I'm just having trouble visualizing the whole thing. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Yes, it supprised me also about the A.C.

I went to different search engines online and just typed in oklahoma capitol wedding and different phrases..to pull up different pictures of ceromonys that have been held there in the past.  A few pictures, and photography sites pulled up and it kinda gives you an idea of how people set up their own ceromonys.

Go there on a sunday morning and check it out. Most likely they still have the chairs and tables set up if they had a wedding the night before. It gives you a better visual.  Honestly that place needs NO decoration.. once you get in there .. you feel like a little girl in a castle..

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you decided for sure to have your ceremony there, Nicole?  I've seen some photos, and they are LOVELY.  Unfortunately, I'm planning from afar (I live in New Mexico), but I'll send my sister therer to scope it out.  We'll have about 50 guests, so I'm not sure if we'd be better off on the 5th floor balcongy or one of the rotundas (I'm afraid our small group may just look silly on a rontunda).

If you want to have your wedding there, but want dancing you could consider moving to Red Prime or Bricktown Brewery for the reception (or anywhere in downtown....some of the places aren't too pricey)
  • Options
    cjstoreycjstorey member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I attended a wedding there several years ago in the "Blue Room" it was gorgeous and they didn't really decorate much at all.  It was spring in Oklahoma (March) and a very warm Saturday afternoon.... everyone was sweating... there is no AC in most of the down stairs at all... beautiful service but hot!.  The couple was disappointed about the metal chairs also...
  • Options
    edited December 2011

What is your Email nmsoonergirl???

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sent you a private message, Nicole.
  • Options
    KellahPandaKellahPanda member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend originally was going to do it there, but then found out that they don't air condition it, and the sound of the fans that they provide for it were SO LOUD that she cancelled that place!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards