Oklahoma

Bridal Salons Plus size friendly?

Are there ANY Big girl friendly bridal salons in the OKC area? Any experiences postive or negative would be appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Bridal Salons Plus size friendly?

• HollieLynHollieLyn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to david's bridal in OKC. the girl who helped me was amazing! Her name is Quinette. I highly recommned her.
  • TisharpTisharp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also went to David's Bridal and had a HORRIBLE experience.  So be careful.  I don't have the name of the girl who helped me, because she never even introduced herself.

I went to Alfred Angelo and the girl who worked with me there was fabulous (I have her name written down, but it's at home), but I know people have had trouble there too. 

I ended up having my dress made by Bridal Showroom and I'm glad I did.  I think I was pretty much Moe's worst nightmare (short AND fat, with no plans to lose any weight.  lol) but I was very pleased with the final product.

Missing our little turkey.
    Estimated Due Date 11/13/12 | Natural Miscarriage 4/17/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • JustGLAMOURJustGLAMOUR member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jolie who works for Alfred Angelo is a SWEETHEART!!!! If you choose to go there, ask for her!

I didn't like the LIAR I worked with at David's Bridal. Plus I'm not a big girl by any means but she told me I needed a size 10 when I wear a 6 perfectly fine. I was told David's Bridal's associates make commission off of alterations from their brides. So I'm sure she wonders WHY I didn't come back.
  • edited December 2011
    There is a lady in Yukon that does plus size dresses, I have a friend who's fiance is using her and everything I've heard is really great.  I think it is called Divine Curves.  I've heard the people J.J. Kelley are really snobby and rude, but I've never been there.  You might want to check with the Bridal Boutique in Norman and Bella Rose in Edmond.  Hope that helps a bit!  My bridesmaid dress for my sister's wedding was made by Bridal Showroom and he did a great job and all he had to go off was a picture.  Good Luck!!
    Photobucket
    December PS Sig Challenge - RINGS! Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions....I have heard about a great place in Fort Worth so if I don't feel good about the OKC shops I will take a trip down 35!!
  • TisharpTisharp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oklahoma_bridal-salons-plus-size-friendly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:127Discussion:f36a2b08-73d7-47a1-b7c6-2d0eebdba243Post:fdb8ad9a-2aec-4279-a938-d73dd42b3e4a">Re: Bridal Salons Plus size friendly?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the suggestions....I have heard about a great place in Fort Worth so if I don't feel good about the OKC shops I will take a trip down 35!!
    Posted by okiediva[/QUOTE]

Be sure to let us know what kind of experiences you have!  I hope it goes great, no matter where you go!

Missing our little turkey.
    Estimated Due Date 11/13/12 | Natural Miscarriage 4/17/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I definitely will. I do NOT want to be treated like a side show freak because I'm "fluffy"...lol
  • edited December 2011

I'm a bigger girl. I actually went dress shopping today. I went to Bella Rose in Edmond and Lauren helped me. She was super sweet. They have several gowns in 14 and 16. I'm a little larger than that, but they were really supportive and help make me comfortable. I also went to Moliere Bridal in OKC and Tiffany helped me. She was very nice. Almost all of their dresses come in 10 and a few 12's. At Bella Rose you have room with a door, you get the dress on and then they come in and zip/lace you up. At Moliere they have rooms with little curtains (not my favorite) and the girl is in to room helping dress you the whole time.

I didn't feel like a side show freak at either place. The ladies were all very nice. If I had it to do over I would have gone during the middle of the week when there aren't masses of bridesmaids trying on and being fitted for dresses. Just more eyes on me than I prefer.

I've heard good things about the Bridal Boutique in Norman, so I might go there next weekend.

Just remember that it's about you and what you want. As long as you can get an idea of what you want even if it doesn't fit you exactly. Unfortunately us bigger girls have to be able to have an imagination.

Hope this helped a little!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oklahoma_bridal-salons-plus-size-friendly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:127Discussion:f36a2b08-73d7-47a1-b7c6-2d0eebdba243Post:2ffbd6f6-afb6-473a-bab9-cf8e8613934a">Re: Bridal Salons Plus size friendly?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I definitely will. I do NOT want to be treated like a side show freak because I'm "fluffy"...lol
    Posted by okiediva[/QUOTE]

i've never seen any of my plus-sized married friends treated as a side show at any bridal store we went to.  if you go in with a positive attitude about yourself then you'll be fine!  i am a very small bride (4'10", size 2/4) and there were NO dresses in the store i visited in my small size.  they had MANY plus sized gowns but hardly any gowns under a 6 and NO gowns in their petite sizes.    we couldn't tell much about how the dresses looked because they were so big on me.  however, there were 4 other brides in there trying on dresses...  2 were plus sized, and 2 were average, and NONE of them had ANY problems with finding dresses or having good service.

if you go in feeling self conscious and thinking that people are going to treat you weird because you are plus-sized, then that's the experience you will get.    if you're expecting people to treat you as a side show, then that is going to be your perspective.  only you can choose that.  however if you go in there with a positive attitude about yourself AND the experience, you will have a good time and come out feeling good about yourself and the experience of trying on dresses.
  • edited December 2011
    That's a good idea...unfortunately I went to JJ kelly with a friend today....I don't think they had one size over a 10..The girl there basically told me that there wasn't anything I could try on but they could hold it up against me.....UM...No thank you!!

ANYWAY...The Bridal Boutique (or similiar) in Norman...anyone been there??
  • edited December 2011
    do some research.  call ahead to see what sizes a store carries.
  • edited December 2011
    Ms. Coco I appreciate the input! I have done research...but would also like to point out that this board is used as research for a lot of brides. Therefore I am doing research as you can tell by my posts on this board. Thanks again for your information!
  • edited December 2011
    i went to the bridal boutique last week. They have dresses in every size and price.  They were very nice and helpful. The girl who helped me (sorry I can't remember her name) is actually a plus size girl herself. They had a lot of dress over size 10. Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you very much!
  • edited December 2011
    I met a plus size bride at one of the bridal shows and she raved and raved about the bridal store in Norman.  I hate that you had such a negative experience at JJ Kelley, but then again I've never heard anything nice about them.  Hope your next experiences are much better!
    Photobucket
    December PS Sig Challenge - RINGS! Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards