New Jersey - South

moneyyy matters.

Ok, we're going to be on a tight tight budget, I'm sure. We haven't started looking at absolutely anything yet, b/c our wedding is still over a year away. (Sept 12 2010)But I was wondering if anyone here recently did the SJ area and knows the price ranges for some reception sites.My heart is kind of set on The Merion in Cinnaminson. I live down the street and used to work there so I know they do an excellent job. It'd be on a Sunday if that counts.  But I don't know what The Merion is running at. Anyone know by chance?And then any other nice places in the area that are reasonably priced? I don't want to go reception site hunting to find out it's $200 a person.Thanks. Any info at all would be helpful. :)
Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
Angel Baby grew wings on 7/15/2011 at 7w. <3<br>

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: moneyyy matters.

• nygirl07nygirl07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know someone getting married at The Merion in Nov on a Sunday and she's paying $130 or so. What kind of price range are you looking for?
  • edited December 2011
    Rather than asking here, your best bet is to just call them for a range for that date, if they are available.  To give you one idea, a friend spent $175 pp for a Saturday in May 2008.  I'm not familiar with how The Merion runs (e.g. if they have different packages) so you may be able to customize things to fit within your budget (and having it Sunday will also help).  What is your pp budget?  How many people are you having?  Start with the info and just start making calls.  If you know they are out of your budget, then you don't have to waste time visiting them.  Lucien's and the Wyndham in Mt Laurel are two other popular SJ reception sites.  I'm sure the girls' on this board have many other suggestions. 
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I was in a wedding at The Merion last year, and I wanted to check it out when we got engaged.  When I called, they wouldn't give prices over the phone.  It will all depend on how many people you have, what day of the week it is, what time of year you have it.   When you get a price, make sure it includes tax and gratuitiy.  A lot of places will tell you "Oh, it's only $110 a person plus tax and gratuity", but then that makes it about $140/person.  This is one of the reasons I chose my venue- because they have a flat out fee that includes everything. There are SO many places out there, that if the Merion doesn't work out for you, another place will! I had my heart set on Ballroom at the Ben, and now I'm getting married at Cescaphe Ballroom- and I think Cescaphe is 500 times better. :)  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Valleybrook Country Club in Blackwood. It is gorgeous and very reasonable. Also Tracey is the person you will be talking to and she is so helpful and nice! Good Luck!
  • kimikins79kimikins79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Merion won't give you prices over the phone, they want you to come in.  However, I had a great price from Lucien's and when I spoke to the woman, I just told her, I would love to have my reception there, but they would have to come close to the price.  She said the lowest she could go on the off season (March) on a Satuyrday night was $130 per person not incl tax and gratuity. Great facility, but I did better per person at another nice facility.Some places that are nice and reasonable are:  Lucien's Manor, Pine Hill, Valleybrook, Smithville.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lmparlettlmparlett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am on a very tight budget as well, because we are actually having two receptions.  My family is all in AZ and we are going to have a second reception there for all of them.  So I couldn't pay $100+ pp at this reception.  We are going with Elite Catering at the Coliseum in Voorhees.  It's not nearly as beautiful as the Merion, but much more affordable, and still nice enough.  So if you are really on a tight budget, try out a place like that, or Paris Caterers, where you can get in under $100 pp.Good luck!
    Photobucket Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com Anniversary
  • samissahsamissah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm, getting married there in Feburary on a Sunday, Valentine's Day to be exact and it's 121.60 tax and gratuity incl. Hope this helps!
  • lildaniec16lildaniec16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have to say that I second Valleybrook. We are staying way under budget with Valleybrook, that makes me happy. Not only are they reasonable, but they offer many packages. We are having a brunch buffet (which includes EVERYTHING). If you're going to be on a budget it doesn't hurt to call places. I know that the Merion (when I went to look in February) for an off season wedding started at $130. The place is gourgeous but $130 is not anywhere near my budget. Places like that are willing to budge but so much. I would do research and call places that you're interested in. Good Luck.
  • Linda123Linda123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Each room has a diff. minimum.  The room we looked at was $150 pp on a Sat, almost $200 w tax and gratuity......seemed alot to us for that location.....not sure what the Sun rates are but def dont forget the tax and grat when you are shopping @,  Its a big number 7% plus usually 21% Gratuity.  It can take your p per head into another leauge.......GL!
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married at the Merion on a Sunday in June 2010 in the Skylight Ballroom...they had no person minimum for Sundays when we booked (but we did have to set a minimum guarantee of our choosing), and we're paying $125/person inclusive of tax and gratuity.  We booked a while ago though, so I don't know if we got 2009 or 2010 prices.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!
  • jayme707jayme707 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at The Merion on 9/17/10 in the Skylight room, it's a Friday night. The original price we were quoted was $150 pp with tax and gratuity included but they came down to $134 pp. We felt that The Merion just offered so much more for the money than any other place we looked... The amount of food they include for cocktail hour and dessert was really impressive! We also looked at The Mansion in Voorhees and Luciens Manor in Berlin which were both very nice and slightly less expensive than The Merion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards