Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Is my ceremony too long?

Hello friends,
I am getting married in October and I wanted to get everyone's opinion. I have a large wedding party, and a large family, and everything about my wedding seems to be big.
I am having a 45 minute ceremony. Is this too long? I have six people who are giving my fiance and I a blessing as part of the ceremony. He is afraid people will be bored, but I think  it's kind of important to have a meaningful ceremony. Even if it is 45 minutes long.

What do you think?
Anna from Nashville

Re: Is my ceremony too long?

• It sounds pretty long, and some people might get bored. But those who will get bored are generally not the important people. What's important is that it is the ceremony YOU and your future husband want. If you don't want to cut anything out, don't.
  • 6 people giving a blessing sounds overboard to me.  Is each one being given individually?  Honestly, I agree with your FI on this.  Not all people are good public speakers, and having to endure 6, albeit short, speeches during the ceremony just sounds like too much to me.

If you must include all 6 people, is there a way that perhaps 2 people could speak at the RD, 2 at the ceremony, and 2 at the reception?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Catholic type weddings with full mass are 40+ minutes.  But this is because of religious protocol, and those that are familiar with the religion or those types of services are used to it.

But for the average, non-Catholic guest, anything over 30 minutes would be considered long.  And your FI is right, if it's that long guests will be bored just to hear numerous people give readings and blessings.  Then there's likely to be a rush for the bathroom afterward.

• I think the amoutn of time for a ceremony really depnds what religion if any is inthe ceremony. bUt if your FI thins its too long maybe you guys could compromise and shorten it, best wishes
  • I think 45 minutes would be excruciating as a guest.
  • Not only Catholic weddings are 45 minutes. I'm Presbyterian and our wedding at our church we're told will be about 35-40 minutes. It's that long because the pastor marrying us gives a "lesson" customized to us as a couple, in addition to a couple of readings and the vows.

I really don't care if people think that's long. The wedding ceremony is the "main event," and I've never minded listening to an officient give the couple - and others in the audience - some wise words about marriage. I actually think really short wedding ceremonies are very anti-climactic.
  • Well, a Catholic wedding with a Mass is abot an hour, and doesn't feel too long at all.  (To me, the entire PURPOSE of the day is the ceremony.  Trying to get it over with as quickly as possible would be disappointing to me.)  On the other hand, 6 consecutive blessings...  that could well be too long.  It isn't the length; it's what is in that time.  (Music, readings, etc.)  I'd worry more about monotony than length per se.
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    6 individual people giving blessings/reading/etc seems like a bit much too me, and I'd probably be annoyed by something like this as a guest.

The ceremony is about you and your FI, so if there's something he's not feeling comfortable with, you really should try to reach some type of compromise with him.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Catholic weddings are usually 1 hour or longer. You should do what you like! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards