New Jersey - South

Reception speeches, bleesing?

Who did or is doing a speech at your wedding and who is doing the blessing?  Our priest isn't attending so he won't be doing it.I know our best man is and my sister might be....are the dads suppose to?  They keep asking and I'm not even sure

Re: Reception speeches, bleesing?

• scclark78scclark78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only speeches done at our wedding were by the MOH and BM.  Our pastor that married us did our blessing before dinner.
  • edited December 2011
    Our MOH and BM did the speeches, and my Godfather/Uncle did the toast- he is fairly religious, and I wanted to give him a role in the day because he was realllly good to my DH and the bridal party ( had all the guys there before for pics since DH is from Boston),
  • edited December 2011
    Our priest is a family friend so he will be coming to the reception and he'll do the blessing.  My MOH had her DH's uncle do the blessing at the reception and I have seen it done by other family members or a friend too-it's up to you!If the dads want to do a speech I say let them, but you may want to split the speeches up-so you could have the BM and your sister do their speeches before you eat and then have the dads do their speeches after the appetizer or main dish.  Remind them, short and sweet b/c people want to eat! :-)
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The question really shouldn't be are they supposed to - it's more like would you like them to?  I feel like there really are no rules and it's up to each couple to decide.  For our wedding, one GM (a friend) will give the toast and then the priest will give the blessing.  My dad may or may not say a few words - that's his choice.  We've asked the MOH (my sister) and BM (his bro) to give a speech at the RD.     I've been to other weddings where one father gives a blessing instead of the priest.  BM, MOH, and both dads might be a bit much, IMO.
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • amymk910amymk910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm probably going to have my grandfather do the blessing at the reception. as for the dads...im going to leave that up to them. if they want to say something they can and if not thats fine too
  • nygirl07nygirl07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks,  Our dad's kept asking if they were suppose to.   I know our BM is doing one and as for the toast I have no clue, I guess I'll ask one of our aunts since our priest isn't coming.We already told the best man to keep it short and sweet b/c he'd be the one to come in with a slideshow and go onf or an hour :)
  • edited December 2011
    My brother did the blessing because I wanted to include him and he's pretty religious.  My MOH (my 11 yr old niece) was the only one to give a speech.  I meant to do a quick one, but completely forgot and our dads were not up for it.
  • edited December 2011
    After our first dance, my dad welcomed everyone to the celebration and said a few short words. He then turned it over to the BM for his speech and the toast. The microphone was then given to DH's cousin, who happens to be a good family friend of mine, to give the blessing. He is in the seminary right now and since he was family, it seemed appropriate for him to do the blessing, even though the priest who performed our ceremony was also there. As a pp said, I do not think there are any hard and fast rules.
  • edited December 2011
    My dad and FIL did welcome toasts, then the pastor from our IL's church did the blessing (anyone can do the blessing, really), then the typical MOH and BM.
  • nygirl07nygirl07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks that really helped....I'll have my aunt do the blessing since she's really religious and works at the church on weekends and then see if our Dad's want to do a welcome speech.  That's where I was confused b/c they were asking me what they say and I didn't know if they did a whole speech  or just a "Thanks for coming" kind of thing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards