New Jersey - South

Help

Ok so I am getting married in 11 months. I have decided to change my reception venue because they changed owners or management and I just do not feel comfortable going there anymore. So I picked out a few places around the area. I was talking to my future mother in law and I told her about the one place and the first thing out of her mouth was I hate their food and I don’t think you should have the reception there. I didn’t say anything. I just said ok and I walked away. Now those places that I picked the owners are friends of our family and I like their food and I have never had anything bad there. So what do I do? I feel as if I cannot keep anyone happy. I am either going to make my mom mad for I am making my future mother in law mad!

Re: Help

• edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you are stuck in the middle!  I think if you really like this place (on your own decision, without mom or FMIL's opinion) then you should have a food tasting and invite the future mother in law to join you so hopefully you can change her opinion.  Also ask her what, in particular, she doesnt like about their food and maybe you can work around that.What does fiance think about this place?  You mentioned tha tyou picked a few places, and FMIL has a problem with this one.  What about the other places?
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with pp-ask FMIL why she feels so strongly about that place and if you are seriously considering it as reception venue, have her come along with you to the place to see how she reacts and see if she possibly changes her mind.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Oh the joys of FMIL's! I agree with pp's see if she is willing to come along with you and check it out. I would try and not get too stressed about it. You never know some of the other places you are going to look at you might walk into them and fall in love with one and forget about the other venue. At the end of the day if you really do like the place that she doesn't try and explain to her why you like it and feel that it is the best location. I don't want to sound like her opinion doesn't matter but at the end of the day it is you and your FI's day. As long as he likes the place and he is in agreement then it really should be about what you guys want.
  • rclark13rclark13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My future MIL is itilian and is sometimes very hard to please! She doesnt know what should doesnt like about the food. all she keeps on saying is i dont like it there. and for the other few places that i am going to look at the one I do not care for their food but because my mom and my FMIL like it I am going to look there.
  • edited December 2011
    Funny story... my mom insisted I look at a venue that I knew 100% I would not like.  She convinced FI to go look at it, so we made an appt.  When we got there, the wedding coordinator was rude and the decor and feel of the place was completely not us.  Since FI obliged my mom by going, I made him tell her it was a definite no and why.  For some reason, she took it much better from him.Point is, sometimes to keep the peace you have to waste your time looking at places you're not really interested in, or have conversations that seem pointless just so others can feel included.  Don't let your mother for FMIL pressure you into making a decision.  If you fall in love with a venue, and its completely feasible budget and location wise, then just tell them your reasons for liking it.  I know my mom and I have opposite tastes so me saying, "I like it" isn't enough, I usually have to state why I like it so she can see my perspective.
  • thisisfunthisisfun member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where does she hate the food, maybe you can change her mind about tasting the food first. I would go on an appointment with the place to see if you guys like it to begin with and then go from there- explain to who you are meeting with the IL problem. ~ Good Luck.
  • edited December 2011
    I go through the same things with my FMIL it's ridiculous. You can't please everyone you will drive yourself nuts! At the end of the day it is you and your FI's decision. This is your day and everyone should be supportive of what makes you guys happy!
  • felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can totally relate except MY MOM is the Italian mother who is sometimes hard to please. Food is the most important part of a wedding to them and if its not good then its not worth having there. Food tasting is your best bet, but just remember in the end, its what you and your future husband want. Stop trying to please everyone because you won't enjoy it. If you really want it at that place , don't stress yourself out with going to 5 more places, have your future husband talk to his mom, she will take whatever it is much better from him then from you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards