New Jersey - South

do this sound crazy?

Ok here is my ordeal: I am absolutely in love with the Stateroom on LBI for my reception and getting married at one of the churches on the island. My dilema is that it is very important to me to have my getting ready pics taken at my grandmothers house, but we live up northern NJ, East Rutherford to be exact. So it takes about 2 hours to get to LBI. Unless my mom is driving then its an hour and a half.  It has always been a dream of mine; it is the one thing I knew I absolutely needed to have. Now tell me if I sound out of my mind for doing this, but should I decide to book the stateroom, would it be absolutely insane to get ready the morning of my wedding up north early in the morning (im an early bird anyway) and be read by 1 at the latest to get down there for mass at 3? I love the stateroom but I wont have my dream wedding pictures if I take my before pitures at a hotel or rented house. What do you guys think? Please be brutally honest!!!!! Or suggest somewhere else to look down the shore but closer to home. I already looked at Clarks Landing (out of my price range), The SUnset Ballroom (I wasnt wowed), The Crystal Point (hated it), and now the stateroom(fell in love with the cocktail space). Any other shore reception locations could help.

Re: do this sound crazy?

• My brother & SIL got married a few years ago and this was their plan: getting ready pics in her parents house in Rutherford, ceremony down at Fort Monmouth, and reception in Wayne.  We were literally driving around in the limo all day long.  It was a very long day.  I understand that you only have one long drive during the day, but it could make your day feel even longer.  SIL's parents rented a limo for the WP, so we didn't have to do any driving, but it was still a crazy long day.

How many people are in your BP?  That will also need to be considered into your getting ready time.  You may also have to pay your photographer extra for the longer traveling distance.  Is there a compromise that could be reached?  Maybe have your e-pics taken at your grandmother's house?  And, in what month are you getting married? Shore traffic would have to be considered into the timing of arriving to your ceremony on time from East Rutherford.

Only you and FI (and parents if paying) can make this decision.  You should make a list of all the pros and cons and find out the right solution for you.
  • We will be getting married June 13 of 2014. I have 6 girls in my BP. I took into consideration all the driving being done that day and while my immediate family loves travel and doesnt mind a drive I understand that others may be exhausted just by the thought of it. I definitely don't want driving to make the day seem long. Thank you for your opinion it is very helpful! I have a lot to think about.
  • I live down the shore year round and summer traffic is brutal.  I see that your wedding is planned for a Friday.  If you're planning on leaving North NJ at 1, that is prime traffic time for all the people who work summer hours to head down the shore.  You'll be sitting in traffic going all the way down the parkway, and again trying to get onto the island (which only has 1 way on).  That is some serious stress you're putting on yourself for your wedding day.  Plus, do you really want to be sitting in traffic in your wedding dress??? And as PP mentioned, while you may not mind getting up early, the rest of your BP might not appreciate an early start and then sitting in traffic for 2+ hours.  Also, are you going to be having your rehearsal down in LBI the day before?  You need to take that into consideration as well before asking people to drive all over the state in the summertime.  

To be honest, the getting ready part is such a blur.  And my photographer didn't even come to my house when we got hair & makeup done (video did so at least we got some documentation).  My photographers met me at my venue, where I finished getting ready and put my dress on there and did some photos with my mom and BMs at that time.      

It sounds like you've found your venue, and that really should be the key driver for your wedding day.  You may need to compromise on something so the logistics work in your favor.  Maybe do your trials at your grandmothers house and take some photos then so at least you get those pictures you want?  Also, what does your FI think about the venues you've visited- I'm sure he has some input.  
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
  • I think our compromise is to have the reception closer to home but still down the shore(that i am not willing to budge on). It has been my dream for years to be married on LBI and its where we got engaged but moving it closer up north is looking like the better plan. As far as my fiance he his opinion is that if it's what I want we'll make it work.And to make it work I really need those pictures at my grandmothers home, its more of my way of honoring my grandfather who was supposed to walk me down the aisle. But its not like LBI is going anywhere (not yet anyway) and Ill still be there every summer anyway, it just wont be for my wedding. thank you for an outsiders opions ladies, they did help!!! Oh and as for the BP they will have to get up early no matter what just to give me peace of mind in knowing everyone will be ready on time, lateness is definitely a pet peeve and stresses me out lol! Thanks again!!! Laughing
  • Would it be a possibility to have your photos taken @ your grandmother's house before your wedding day???  Maybe consider doing hair & make-up trial run a couple weeks before with your BP and get into your dresses for photos.  This would def. make your wedding day much easier.  Since you will all be "done-up", might also be a good day to do your bachelorette party :)  Good luck!
  • We picked a venue a bit closer to home! Breakers on the ocean in spring lake. Only a forty minute drive! Much better and I fell head over heels for the ocean views from The porch where cocktail hour is held. So happy I kept looking :-) looks like I will be able to get those pics after all
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards