New Jersey - South
Options

Bizarre/Odd requests from guests?

I posted this on the NJ board as well. This one has been a little slow lately so I figured I would try it here as well.
This weekend was crazy for us it was just one thing going wrong after another. Luckily it's all worked out but we had 2 family members call us up and ask if their dates could ride in the limo with everyone. We are at max capacity and these are both just random dates not long term or guests we really know. We politely told them no but they are more than welcome to follow behind the limo's in their car.

What are some bizarre or odd requests you have gotten from family members/guests?

Re: Bizarre/Odd requests from guests?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't had an odd request like that but I had a family member assume that she was invited with a guest yet she is not dating anyone.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I should specify the 2 family members that called us and asked are in our bridal party. Still I thought this was a little odd. I would never think to call up and ask if FI could ride around with everyone for the day if he wasn't in the bridal party.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a friend invited with "and guest" ask if it was ok to bring her girlfriend.  She used to date guys in college, apparently now, not so much.  I appreciate that she was concerned about their being a potential problem and asked, but I couldn't care less.  I told her to bring whomever she wants!

We're not having kids at the wedding. I'm waiting for the first person to ask if their kid can come...
  • Options
    preciousa721preciousa721 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    People are very strange.  We have not really had a any odd requests either.  The only one is FI's real mom (we're not very close to her) getting upset because there was no vegetarian option for our wedding guests and she's not even a vegetarian.  Just to make her stop whining we added it to the selection because it was no big deal.  Well, guess what.... we have now gotten all of our responses back and only had one person choose vegetarian and only because of the fact that they are on a big diet otherwise they would have been fine with the other choices.  soooo annoying. lol. 
    P.S. Demarcosjd- we're almost there!!!!!  :-D
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Preciousa, I know! I can't believe how fast time is moving. I'm praying for nice weather :)
  • Options
    SJGirl0811SJGirl0811 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our wedding is still over a year away, so the invitations haven't gone out yet.  So the requests aren't really odd or bizarre, but they are annoying.  We're not having any kids at the reception.  I got dragged to a few when I was younger and I hated it.  And I'm sure my parents regretted bringing me.  So already my FMIL is complaining saying that cousins Jack and Jill, or whoever, want to bring their darling little child - so can't we make just one exeption, etc....  And it's going to get worse, I'm sure. 

• Options
    BoldHartBoldHart member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm the same as you SJGirl! Still over a year out but random things are pouring in. One of my FI's Aunts has already requested days that we not have our wedding. We are also having problems with not having children. Some people just assume their entire family is invited. Ugh!!! Also my FI's stepmother has requested that his two nieces (they will be 19 and 16 for our wedding date) be involved in our ceremony. He isn't very close to them and I found the request rather pushy especially so soon after our engagement. I said I didn't know what they could do since we will be having a non-traditional ceremony on the beach so no readings or candle lightings. Even after saying that she still brought up how "special" it would be and they don't even talk to my FI!!!
  • Options
    jayme707jayme707 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why are people so set on bringing their children?  We're having the same issues with some of our family... You might think people would be excited by the opportunity to have a night of dinner, dancing and an open bar without the kids!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally agree Jayme. When I have kids, I don't think I wll be bringing them to most weddings even if they are invited (unless it's close family) because I will want to enjoy myself on that given night.

One odd request was on of DH's friends asked that since his girlfriend was busy, could he bring his cousin. We said no, and then he asked, can I bring anyone else? And we explain to him his plus 1 was for his girlfriend, or nothing at all. And the invitation was not addressed "and guest" it had his GF's name on it, specifically to avoid issues like this but it didn't work.

The other request that bugged me was my Aunt (her daughter was the FG) asking if she could follow the limo to the picture site to take pictures. Ummm no? My father is paying $5K for professional photos, we'll print you copies when we get the proofs...jeeez! This especially annoyed me because she's a picture wh0re anyway and her daughter gets totally distracted when she's flashing the camera in her eyes a billion times.

Oh, and my sister was annoyed that we picked Miller Lite instead of Bud Lite as our "light beer" selection, and pretty much b!tched until it was changed. That pissed me off.

People are always going to forget that their opinions and request...for the most part...do not matter because it's your day! GL with any whacko requests that may come your way.
    BabyFruit Ticker

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Stacy has read 24 books toward her goal of 35 books.
    hide
  • Options
    coreybride127coreybride127 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had two odd ones. My invites only went out a week ago.

I had one co-worker that was upset that I addressed the invitation to her AND her husband! She didn't want him to come with her, but since he saw the invite with his name on it, he wants to come.

Also, we sent STDs 6 months ago and we had one person call my FMIL to say that she wasn't able to come. We still sent her an actual invite and she called up my FMIL and was really mad we still sent her an invite!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-new-jersey_bizarreodd-requests-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:128Discussion:9db3f7fa-5526-4650-b124-d6f6e412a729Post:2cb6a4e4-0d5b-4465-bfb7-8675e3dffff3">Re: Bizarre/Odd requests from guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had two odd ones. My invites only went out a week ago. I had one co-worker that was upset that I addressed the invitation to her AND her husband! She didn't want him to come with her, but since he saw the invite with his name on it, he wants to come. [/QUOTE]
    This one is really odd and funny too!

[QUOTE]Also, we sent STDs 6 months ago and we had one person call my FMIL to say that she wasn't able to come. We still sent her an actual invite and she called up my FMIL and was really mad we still sent her an invite!
    Posted by coreybride127[/QUOTE]

She was mad probably because if you didn't send her a formal invite, she could get out of sending you a gift, but now, she might feel obligated to send one and is annoyed about it. It's tacky for her to be mad though. Not EVERYONE who said no sent us a gift. It's a nice gesture, but not something I feel is required. But maybe I'm not up to speed on my etiquette, who knows?
    BabyFruit Ticker

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Stacy has read 24 books toward her goal of 35 books.
    hide
  • Options
    lineallowsforlineallowsfor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    - Relative gave us a list of weekends when her family could attend the wedding, and asked us to pick from that list only.  We gave in and did.
    - Same relative is not coming because she has now booked an Alaskan vacation on the weekend she pre-approved.  GRRRR.
    - That relative's grown children are boycotting the wedding because the reception is no kids (they have a toddler).  Angry that they "already bought matching outfits for baby and father to wear and now we can't wear them."  Weird.
    - FH's grandmother gave us a list of 35 people (5 sheets front and back) she wanted us to invite.  Our guest limit is 70 (venue size).  12 made the cut  (overlapped with our list).
    - BM asked if her boyfriend could ride in the limo with the girls.  Uh, love you, but no.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards