Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Using grandfathers ring in ceremony

My fiance won't be wearing a wedding band after we are married, he is getting a tattoo on his finger instead.  His mother really wants us to use her father's wedding band for our ceremony and then give back to her.  I agreed to this, but he went to try on the band and it only fits on his pinky finger.  It won't even fit over the knuckle on his ring finger.  Does anyone have any ideas on how we can still use this for our ceremony?  Would it be wrong to put it on his pinky finger during the ceremony???  It will be removed before our pictures and his tattoo will be his actual wedding band.

Re: Using grandfathers ring in ceremony

• Why would it be "wrong"? It's only a tradition to put the wedding ring on the left ring finger, not a law. Men didn't really even start wearing wedding rings until World War II. And plenty of couples don't have rings nowadays, and they're still happily and legally married.

If you guys would like to put it on his pinky for the ceremony, then that's absolutely fine. This isn't something that will hurt or offend someone, so in cases like that don't worry about what other people might think! And someone would have to be a real nutcase to get offended by this gesture, anyway.
  • I agree with the prior poster. It is a touching and lovely thing you want to do. I can't imagine anyone thinking it's anything but charming.
  • Thank you.  I think it will be a really nice thing to do...even if it will only fit on his pinky! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards