Military Brides

Newbie here...

Hey everyone. I'm a newbie to the knot and I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Meghan, fiance is Brandon. He's in the USMC and we're currently stationed at Camp Pendleton. We've been together 5 years, he proposed in February and we've finally set a tentative wedding date!! December 8, 2012. Hooray!

I've gone into major planning mode, I can be very indecisive and I will probably shuffle a million different ideas before I make my definite decisions!

I look forward to seeing what this site is all about and maybe making some new "bride" friends along the way. :)

Re: Newbie here...

• edited December 2011
    Welcome to the Military Brides board!
    Congratulations on the engagement :)
    Are you liking southern California ok? I love the San Diego area!

How's the wedding planning going? What have you accomplished thus far? Dress? Colors? venue?

Hopefully you stick around! We love when new people stay :)
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi and Welcome! 

Love your FI's name btw, I'm biased though since it's H's name too. ;) 
  • edited December 2011
    WOOP WOOOOOPPP! I love it that there are so many So. Cali's coming through! Hello! :)

FTL, San Diego is like my favorite city of all time!
  • mbpainembpaine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you! I actually love San Diego. As a girl originally from cold, snowy NY... I can say I feel like I'm on a permanent vacation! :)

The wedding planning is still in its early stages. We're throwing out venue ideas and trying to decide where we will wed. We agree we both wanted a winter wedding. He's from Denver, Colorado and really likes the idea of doing it there. I'm not opposed to it but, I'm some what of a perfectionist and I really don't think I could handle trying to plan a Colorado wedding all the way from California. I told him we need to decide what we're going to do and soon!

I have looked at some dresses. have gotten some ideas and some inspiration. I actually have an appt to try some on Saturday morning. Very excited. :)

As for colors, my fiance is going to be wearing his dress blues so I wanted to compliment them with a red or a blue. Actually, very similar to the blue in your picture. Gorgeous color. Gorgeous picture!

I plan on sticking around for a while. Thanks. :)
  • kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    You girls are making me miss Cali so much tonight! I really wish we would have gotten orders to SD instead... 
  • mbpainembpaine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have lived here full time for about a year now, before that I was traveling while I finished up my degree at Purdue. FI has been here the last 2 1/2 years. Are you a Cali native?
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    DELETED so OP can change her name and get rid of this post

:)
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • lmarsh90lmarsh90 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    welcome to the board!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_newbie-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:02d5907c-6bee-409b-a958-973873aae89bPost:7fed7ba6-2fd6-4d1f-9aa9-c6333f097349">Re: Newbie here...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have lived here full time for about a year now, before that I was traveling while I finished up my degree at Purdue. FI has been here the last 2 1/2 years. Are you a Cali native?
    Posted by mbpaine[/QUOTE]

Yup! Born and raised. My siggy pic is us in SD, we were on the "booze cruise" lol!
  • LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Hi and Welcome!!

My H is AD USMC as well! I spent some time in San Diego when I was AD, and it's a beautiful area!! (Too bad I was working and didn't get to sight see too much!!)

Photobucket
  • ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Hi! Welcome! I'm from NY as well. Buffalo actually. Where are you originally from? 
  • melbelle24melbelle24 member
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome! I hope you stick around, the girls on this board are awesome!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey and welcome!  I have never been to SD but have heard wonderful things about it. 
  • edited December 2011

Love it CAB!
    I have been all over California, but I definitely miss living in Southern California big time... There are orders coming up for UCSD and SDSU for grad school (apparently they have teamed up with the Navy to allow some guys to go .. weird I know) and I WISH we could get those orders but they would be a career killer to H.  sadness.

• calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome!  My FI is a Marine, though he's IRR while finishing law school so we don't have the full military experience yet.  I'm really hoping he gets San Diego for one of his duty stations, though, as I reallllllllly love it out there!

I also second Stan - you might want to read up on OPSEC and PERSEC since they're both important things to know as a military significant other.  Putting full names out on public websites isn't really a good idea for anyone, but the military comes with its own additional risks (there's been some instances where people have shown up on the doorstep of a woman whose guy is deployed to tell her that he was killed in action, and then when she lets them in the house, they rape and beat her, meanwhile her guy is perfectly fine).  Anyway, not to scare you, but it's smart to be aware - you can't delete SNs on TK (though you can ask them to do it, and they probably will eventually get to it) but you should probably create a new one and start fresh so you don't have some weird internet stalkers figuring out personal details about you.

Anniversary

• mbpainembpaine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

First, I had a dumb moment making the account and as I'm sure you all can relate, I haaate having to think of a username for everything these days. Haha. I went the easy route. All though its not exacty either of our last names, more like a collaboration, I still tried to get rid of the account and start fresh but... it doesn't seem to let you delete your account on here?? I am aware of OPSEC and PERSEC and I do appreciate you looking out. :)

@Sami - Luckily I have a friendly schedule my weekdays aren't exactly free but I'm at least able to enjoy weekends. Still sooo much I want to see and do. FI and I went to Julian for pie last weekend. Delicious! Ever been?

@ggirl - Buffalo?! Really? I'm from a small town south of Buffalo. My family is originally from Buffalo though. Small world!

Thanks for all the "welcomes" and I look forward to learning about everyone. It's nice to have another outlet other than some of the fellow wives I've met around here. Being in the center of their drama is not always my cup of tea!

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Meghan,  you will have PM in two seconds.

And for all others, you can delete your name by emailing the knot Gods. Our mod can tell you how.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, stupid TK doesn't let you delete accounts.  You'd have to create a new one using a new email address.  If it isn't either of your last names, then it probably is okay.  Just be super uber cautious about posting anything else about locations, when he's gone, etc.  Glad you're familiar with OPSEC and PERSEC!  Hammering that through someone's head whose title is "Soon2beMrsSmith" (add in that she posts that her FI's name is John - *headdesk*) is sometimes frustrating

Anniversary

• ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Meghan I am from south buffalo so I'm familiar with those small towns well :). And I am now intrigued about where you are from so I might be messaging you later.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards