Military Brides

I'm freakin out, man

Ok.  I have been in Iraq for the past 6 months, and for the year before that my FI was in Iraq.  We have seen each other for approximately 3 weeks since we've been engaged, and since he is now in OCS I won't see him until about 4 days before the wedding.  (But it's ok, the one thing I'm not freaking out about is our relationship)

I have been wedding planning via internet and email with a lot of help from my parents, who have been doing a lot of legwork for me.  I am stationed in England, and the wedding is in Connecticut.  In two days I go home to CT for the first time since I started planning this thing, and I have to talk to all the vendors and hash out details.  I haven't decided details.  It's been hard enough getting the big stuff done long distance.  I have little contact with FI right now due to his class, and contact from Iraq was difficult due to schedules and well, Iraq, so I have hardly any input from his end on certain things.

Every day my mom emails me with more things that need my attention.  It just hit me that I need to change my name, but I won't even be in the US for very long after the wedding.  Logistically at this point it'll be a near thing to even get the marriage license sorted out.

I am overwhelmed, frazzled, and totally freaking out, man.  I'm not even sure what I'm asking for.  Maybe just a hug.

Re: I'm freakin out, man

• edited December 2011
    Kudos to you!! I'm planning a wedding in the same state and I'm having trouble!!! Hugs for you!! Take a deep breath and maybe talk to your mom and tell her that you can't handle. Try to have a day while you are home to sort out everything out, Name Changes & Marriage License stuff. Also, I know that alot of things you can do on the internet!! Hope that helps a little!! Good Luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SpunkchinSpunkchin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You don't have to change your name, and frankly given your timeline I wouldn't bother with it until you are stationed in the states again. An AD friend of mine has been wrestling with her name change for months (we're in England too) and she still doesn't have it all sorted out. I'm sure you want to take his name as soon as you can, but you'll save yourself a ton of stress if you wait until you can do it all in the US.
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow! All I can say is good on you for managing all of this long-distance. 

FWIW, the only name-changing things you really need to do in person are your Social Security card and your driver's license - which can both be done in about 1/2 a day (at least mine were) Credit cards, bank accounts, etc. can all (usually) be changed by calling the company and faxing a copy of your marriage license. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • bintmejnunabintmejnuna member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone.  I'm sure the internet will once again be a big help in all this.  I just need to relax...and breathe
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards