Military Brides

Deployment homecoming/wedding reception ideas

My son will be home from Afghanistan soon and I'm planning a picnic reception (he ws married in Colorado before he deployed) I'd like my theme to be All- American.
It will be on July 4th, at a beach in Michigan. I want it to be informal but nice, but all my ideas seem to be running along the lines of "Come in shorts and bring your suit"
 Any ideas as far as menu other than steak,apple pie, possibly s'mores?
Any ideas on decor? I thought I might hang red white and blue lanterns from the trees, centerpieces of grass on the picnic tables.
I thought we could build a bonfire and watch fireworks from the beach. The beach I'm thinking of is quite aways from where the fireworks are set off. I don't know how he'd react to loud explosions.
Help me brainstorm.
Thanks, Brenda

Re: Deployment homecoming/wedding reception ideas

• edited December 2011
    All of those like great ideas to me!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jeffsteph1207jeffsteph1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that sounds great! Both my FI and I will be coming home from Afghanistan right before our wedding, I'm trying to incorporate a yellow ribbon 'Support the Troops' thing into ours... you might want to give that a go while you're brainstorming as well. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Honestly, I think everything you said in your post sound GREAT!  I think that if you went with all of that, you'd be great :)
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • bhonsingerbhonsinger member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    great idea. Thank you. Maybe yellow flowers in my red white and blue decor. How about sunflowers, they seem to be quite American.
    GOOD LUCK FOR THE REST OF YOUR DEPLOYMENT AND STAY SAFE!!! Are you with 4th ID?
  • aprilbandlowaprilbandlow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married May 8th and he is scheduled to deploy May 19th.  Please post lots of pictures of the picinic, we are planning on having a big reception/welcome home when he returns.  I love all of your ideas!
  • edited December 2011
    What does his bride think of it all?  They all sound great, just make sure you check with her to see if it fits her vision, too.  It's great you're helping them like this, and safe wishes to your son.

Also, sparklers don't have loud noises, but they're really pretty.  Something to consider...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds awesome to me... I second the sunflower idea. =)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • bhonsingerbhonsinger member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the responses. I thought of something else that might be cool.  How about wheatgrass planterbox centerpieces with some kind of banner that says
    "Back on home soil"   and I'll place the sunflowers in canning jars.
    And yes, I have chaeck with my daughter in-law and she loves all the ideas.
    Thanks!
  • lanyemichellelanyemichelle member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I think the red white and blue lanterns would be a great touch. Also, you could consider running christmas lights up the trees to accent them.

Here are some websites I've found for lanterns:

http://www.koyalwholesale.com/

http://www.lunabazaar.com/paper-lanterns.aspx

I hope that helps! Good luck with your planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards