Military Brides
Options

about to deploy

Hi
 I have a question, my fiance will be getting his orders for his deployment on to Afghanistan (ARMY).   I know with deployments they can't leave the base (25 miles from it) a month before D -day.  Should I move my wedding up a month???? I am so worried he will miss it!

what should i do???

Re: about to deploy

• Options
    edited December 2011
    First, you need to remove any dates or months pertaining to his deployment. It isn't safe to give that information out to anyone (OPSEC).

Where did you hear that they can't leave post a month before their Deployment day? My fiance was home with me until about a week before he left because they had a month of pre-deployment block leave. Unless that is an order he's gotten directly from his CO, I'd do some digging because in my experience, most people get a generous pre-deployment leave when they are expecting a deployment.

That being said, dates change. My fiance's unit left two months before they were expecting to leave. His previous deployment, they left over two months late. If you are able to move your date up, it may be the best thing, but keep in mind that pre-deployment training is really important, so he won't be able to and shouldn't even consider missing that. Have you been through a deployment together? You might also consider waiting until he comes back. This will give both of you a feel for how you will handle a deployment, and if you wait until a few months after he gets home, he will be much less stressed out than he would be immediately before or after a deployment. I believe there is an entire thread on this topic, further down on the page.

For now, I would say you should wait until he gets his orders, but take the orders with a grain of salt, because they may change. Good luck, I know that this is a hard time and the logistics of planning a wedding can be frustrating, but it is definitely do-able.

Edit: Do you have military clauses for all your vendors? This will make it easier for you to change dates around.
  • Options
    iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_deploy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:0fc2edc3-62a9-4d7e-aa29-9547bacb9b4fPost:78b818a4-8480-4e1d-9ccf-cfd3ec8d0b27">Re: about to deploy</a>:
    [QUOTE]First, you need to remove any dates or months pertaining to his deployment. It isn't safe to give that information out to anyone (OPSEC). Where did you hear that they can't leave post a month before their Deployment day? My fiance was home with me until about a week before he left because they had a month of pre-deployment block leave. Unless that is an order he's gotten directly from his CO, I'd do some digging because in my experience, most people get a generous pre-deployment leave when they are expecting a deployment. That being said, dates change. My fiance's unit left two months before they were expecting to leave. His previous deployment, they left over two months late. If you are able to move your date up, it may be the best thing, but keep in mind that pre-deployment training is really important, so he won't be able to and shouldn't even consider missing that. Have you been through a deployment together? You might also consider waiting until he comes back. This will give both of you a feel for how you will handle a deployment, and if you wait until a few months after he gets home, he will be much less stressed out than he would be immediately before or after a deployment. I believe there is an entire thread on this topic, further down on the page. For now, I would say you should wait until he gets his orders, but take the orders with a grain of salt, because they may change. Good luck, I know that this is a hard time and the logistics of planning a wedding can be frustrating, but it is definitely do-able. Edit: Do you have military clauses for all your vendors? This will make it easier for you to change dates around.
    Posted by leannalyn[/QUOTE]

I don't think I could have said this better.  Ditto everything.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Honestly as PP's have said things can change! My FI was supposed to deploy twice before he actually went, they were told they were going, and then it kept getting pushed back. When your with someone in the military you have to be flexible!! NO choice, things are going to change.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would move it up to be safe if you want to have the wedding before he's gone. But I agree that waiting till he returns might make it a less stressful wedding over all. If he is going to be coming back after a short trip (a few months or less) I'd wait. I think the others put it perfectly.

If you read my other post you'll think I'm contradicting myself so I'll go ahead and add on the only reason I moved mine up (rather than waiting) was because I won't be coming back if I get the position I'm trying for. I'll go from basic straight to tech school on the other side of the country from my family for 2 years.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards