Military Brides

Future Marine Wife (color inspirations)

My fiance and I are getting married June 11, 2011. I know we have alot of time before then, but because he is a marine we have to wait till time allows... Anyway, I'm looking for ideas for wedding colors (flowers, etc.) Everything that I have seen in marine weddings is red and I DO NOT want red ! Im not sure if you're familiar with the dress blues(dark navy jacket with gold buttons and red patches, white pants and hat) I dont want something to match perfectly with it but just something to compliment the colors and not clash. Any ideas???

Re: Future Marine Wife (color inspirations)

• snyderlsnyderl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    pretty much any color combo will look good with the dress blues.  my FI is a marine as well and we're going with a raspberry and aqua color combo to complement the reds and blues.  go for whatever you want, it doesnt have to match.
  • edited December 2011
    I have pics in my bio of our wedding. DH was in his Dress Blues, and my BM's were in lavender.
  • edited December 2011
    I understand that the Marine dress blues are not the easiest uniform to work with. That said, you should not be trying to match them. It will only make your life harder. Just pick whatever colors you like and leave the color of the uniforms out of it. Here are some military wedding pics from the Nest girls. Check out mmerritts for a Marine wedding. http://sites.google.com/site/milnestfaq/Home/a-military-wedding----pictures
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • vlove11vlove11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I like the rasberry and aqua idea. I was also thinking maybe yellow and ice blue. I found a couple pics of the color combo and i think it looks good; very spring/summery!Thanks Everyone!!!!
  • abioli3abioli3 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I am glad i stopped over here! We are having the same problem. My marine hasn't decided if he is going to wear his uniform or not, so i don't know if i have to match the dress blues or not! But anyway ... Im leaning towards a white/navy dress, or watermelon color.  I think the yellow and the raspberry/aqua all sound like they would compliment the uniform!  another place to look for pictures of dress colors with the uniform are usmc ball pictures.
    ~sea salt in your hair and sand between your toes, makes for a happy soul~
    Upstate South Carolina Bride June 2014
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Abby, please capitalize Marine. :)
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The more you try to match the uniform, the less classy it will look and the higher possibility it'll clash.  Seriously.  Too matchy-matchy isn't a good look.

I recommend a soft yellow.  Pink will work just fine, too.  So will a light purple.  And light blue or teal is a great color, too.  Silver works, as does gold.  Black is fine (yes, even with navy blue) and gray can look awesome.

Sooooo basically, whatever you want!

Anniversary

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_future-marine-wife-color-inspirations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:10331300Post:144e30aa-a468-45ba-8317-a72786db3c19">Re: Future Marine Wife (color inspirations)</a>:
    [QUOTE]THe pants of my mate's uniform are a vibrate blue instead of white. (my dear lcpl) I think I want a sash and the beading of my dress to match his pants,Even if we include red in our colorscheme i don't want any in our flowers.  their coats are so dark I thought it was black for a little while. Maybe include touches of black lace against a white background? hope that helps
    Posted by maridith1989[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Everyone wears royal blue trousers except in the summer. The white trousers are only authorized for SNCOs/Os in the summer. I will also tell you that when I bought my dress this week, we were looking through the dress book, and the ones with colors I jokingly called the LCpl specials. I'm not trying to be snarky, even though it might seem that way, but trust me, the matching dress thing looks kind of juvenile. As for decor, I think matching your venue is far more important.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, this is a really old post, and for a lot of us, it bumps it to the top!

</div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_future-marine-wife-color-inspirations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:10331300Post:67ef3555-3b91-4f6d-8355-1cfce15faa8d">Re: Future Marine Wife (color inspirations)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, this is a really old post, and for a lot of us, it bumps it to the top!
    Posted by WishIcouldbeinthe'stan[/QUOTE]

Geez, I didn't even look at the date!  This is SUPER old! 

As a general guideline (not a strict rule, but typically) if a post is over a week old, it's probably best to not comment on it, unless you have a REALLY good reason to do so!  The comment will bump it to the top of the page for everyone.  If you have a similar question that isn't answered after you search a bit, feel free to start a new post to ask again.  Yes, we answer the color question nearly daily, but it's better than having dead posts resurrected over and over!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards