Military Brides

Hey Ladies. Do you know anything about....

Hey, does anyone know anything about the Soldiers and Saliors act? I think thats what it's called. It's in regards to breaking contracts like leases or stuff like that..... My fiance's National Guard unit is up for deployment and we're moving our wedding from march 2010 to November 2009.... Our venue isn't cooperating and may not let up change the date due to bookings. The deposit is paid and it's a big chunk of our budget. I'd like to get it back so we can put it toward a new venue.... Is this possiable?The whole story is on my blog if you want to check it out... it's maybe 2 posts back. Thanks in advance for any information you have.

Re: Hey Ladies. Do you know anything about....

• snyderlsnyderl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of it, but it probably exists cause I don't know much about that stuff, I'm still pretty new to the military.  I think to change your date you may have needed a clause in your contract specifically stating what should happen if you need your date changed because of the military.  But there might be another loophole...anyone have any other ideas/knowledge?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry your venue isn't being more flexible with switching your date. Do you not have a military clause in your contract? Have they definitely said they won't do it? Or is there still a chance that they might try and work with you? Have your other vendors been understanding?   Unfortunately, as much as I wish I did, I don't have any advice to offer.  Hopefully someone here (maybe Stan?) will have some helpful advice. If not, the ladies on MN might...they are full of information and I believe there are some National Guard members on there, as well as spouses.   GL and I hope everything works out!
    Military Newlyweds FAQ Button
  • edited December 2011
    I do know what you are talking about. It is called the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act. Here are a few links regarding the act, I think they say all the same basic thing. http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/Relief_Act_Revision/ http://usmilitary.about.com/od/sscra/l/blsscra.htm http://www.jag.navy.mil/documents/SSCRA.htm Your FI can try to use this, although he may have to provide official orders. I'm not sure on all the legalities, I know some companies want proof of the orders. I'm not sure if this falls under the act. I hope it does for your sake.
  • rdlclarkrdlclark member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tell the FI to go talk to his legal dude as well. They can give him some good gouge. 
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    The SSRA is not designed for something like a venue rental or committments to a social occasion.  It is meant as a means for interest rates to be reduced on things under certain circumstances (credit card bills, mortgage maybe?).  It offers no relief for venue rental.This is why bride's should always get a military clause in their contracts.  Basically adding something that states that if the military member is unable to be at the wedding due to military requirements, the vendors will work with you to reschedule.  It is voluntary on their part, but many will do it.SSRA is not going to help you on this one.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!!!! this actually helped out in a different aspect than we thought it would. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Err off topic, but I just had to say that Patrice is an amazing middle name. Never met anyone else who had it too! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards