Military Brides

What Now??

My sailor just proposed to me on my last visit to his Dive School. :) He'll be graduating in a little over a month, but then goes straight to his duty station. We can't set a date yet, but I know we want to get as much done as possible before we have one so we can kind of just finish plans quickly and go when we know what date will work. What can I do right now without having a date??

Re: What Now??

• aprilrose975aprilrose975 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can have discussions with your FI on exactly what kind of wedding you want.  Big, Small,  Destination, Church. etc.  I know it sounds like common sense but you would be surprised. My FI and I thought we were on the same page when we started planning.  We both said small and low key.  But his family is tiny and mine is huge.  So his idea of small was 20 guest tops.  Well with my family being so large (my mom is one of ten kids, and all her siblings had like 6 kids each) I thought a very small wedding would be like 50. Now is a good time to work on a budget and see what you have to work with.  Then you can go from there. 
  • aprilrose975aprilrose975 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh By the way.  CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!! There are a lot of things you can start with now. In addition to PP's advice: You can start working on a guestlist and collecting addresses from people you know you want there- it took me almost 2 months to get all of our addresses. You can start looking for your dress, bridesmaids' dresses, shoes, veils, etc Invitation designs- find one you like, work out the wording, then when you set the date all you have to do is add that and place the order Start picking out songs- what you will walk down the aisle to, your first dance, parent dances, etc Looking at photographers- we looked that the online portfolios of about 20 different ones before we called any of them. Start a registry- you probably won't tell anyone about it until you have a date set, but that way when you do you won't have to worry about it. You can also start thinking about venues- at least what kind of place you like and what is in your price range. Call a few places in your area and see what the going rate is for what you have in mind. You can also pick out wedding rings Basically, there is a lot that you can do in the way of getting information, even if you don't finalise anything until you have a date set. Happy planning!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • alysonkw17alysonkw17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    :D Thanks, ladies!! aprilrose975: My FI and I are definitely the same way with his family being tiny and mine being overflowing! Thanks for the advice, didn't even think about that. meltoine: Thanks for the list! That should keep me busy for a while. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards