Military Brides

Newly Engaged!

Hey ladies! I just got engaged a week ago to a wonderful AF 2nd Lt. :) He wants to have a military wedding which I am totally ok with but I need a little help. All the research I've done on google only tells me about the differences between the ceremonies in the following ways: uniforms for active or retired personnel, saber arch, and seating arrangements. Are those really the only differences between a civilian wedding and a military wedding? I feel like there are some more things...
 Also he  is currently in pilot training and isn't finished until November 2010. We are thinking about a wedding in March 2011. If hes under a different command after he moves can he still request leave earlier than that? I will certainly be getting wedding insurance but I just don't want to plan a wedding only to find out 2 months before that he isn't granted leave. Any ideas or suggestions?

Re: Newly Engaged!

• kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congratulations!!! That's very exciting!

Could you plan the wedding for November or December instead? So you can do it as soon as he's done with training, and no guessing games?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We possibly could but I was really hoping for a spring wedding. Also we don't know exactly when he will be done with training so its difficult to guess exactly when. And if we do it earlier then we afraid it won't give him enough time to request leave at his new base... So much uncertainty sure makes for difficult planning!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks guys! Any advice on the military wedding part?
  • minekellyrichminekellyrich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah, i have the same question regarding the aspects of the military wedding...no specifics just what was mentioned at the top....we need to knw if there needs to be any ceremony changes so we can be sure it is all set with our priest etc!
  • Rhian11Rhian11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First, congrats! As for the military wedding, it's really not that much different from a civilian wedding. Uniforms, sabre arches, respect for rank and cutting the cake with a sabre is really about it. You could make it more military by marrying at a base chapel and having the reception at the o-club, which is certainly cost effective btw, but those are really the only traditions. You can always incorporate your own military touches, of course, maybe a POW table or toasts or the like. I really don't know, I'm just throwing stuff out there! One thing you should really talk about though is how much you actually want military aspects in your wedding. Acknowledgement of his service is great, making the ceremony all about the military, maybe not so much. Remember it's ultimately about you two! After all, though it will certainly seem like it at times, you're marrying the man, not the military.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks! Its nice to hear from someone who is going through/has gone through the planning and not just some general websites. I love the suggestions btw! I want to acknowledge his service but exactly as you said, not have that be the main focus, which I want to be our relationship and love for each other. If anyone else is in the early planning stages of a military wedding I would love to talk to them to compare notes!
  • edited December 2011

I don't have any answers for you as to a military wedding but I do have a question for you......where are you planning on getting married?  I only ask because you're located in Central Florida and many people are not aware of the AFRC located at Shades of Green in Walt Disney World. 

My daughter's husband is in the National Guard and they had their wedding at Shades of Green.  The place was wonderful and the people couldn't have been any better to work with and since it's for the military, they're very used to dealing with military events.  Check it out if you get a chance. 

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for the location suggestion, I am currently located in Central FL but the wedding is actually going to take place in MN, I've always wanted to check out the Shades of Green resort!
  • edited December 2011
    I just recently got engaged too.  My FI is going to graduate college in December and is then leaving for basic in the Air Force.   We have quite a while before the wedding since I need to finish college too.  We are planning for January 2012 (I graduate December 2011). 

We also want to do a military wedding, but the wedding will most likely be in TN and not on a base.  As of right now he and his family members that served will be the only ones in uniform.  Since it's a winter wedding, AF colors, white and blue, lend themselves pretty well to the occasion.  Spring maybe more fun to play with!  Have you thought about colors? 

Feel free to bounce ideas around! I'd love to hear what you're thinking about.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm thinking about having my colors as champagne and blue with a tiny bit of red in there for a pop :-) I'm planning on having bridesmaid dresses in the champagne and with the guys in their blues i think that would look pretty :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards