Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Is it traditional?

I don't know why, but when the officiant asks "whoever believes this couple should not marry, speak now or forever hold your peace" It really bugs me... Is it law that you have to say that? Or is it traditional?

~Soon to become Mrs. O'Kane!~

Re: Is it traditional?

• I haven't seen that done at a single wedding I've ever been to. The only time I've seen it is in the movies.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It was done at my first wedding (1993) but don't anticipate it now - it wouldn't matter!
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • We didn't use it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We're cutting it. It was only ever in the ceremony in the first place in case there was a legal reason someone could not wed, and whoever was bringing the news didn't arrive until the last second. As there is no longer a legal need for it, there's no reason to have it in except to give crazy people the chance to voice their disapproval. And nobody really wants that.
  • edited August 2012

I think you should speak with your officiant to discuss and plan this out. If you don't want it in your ceremony, ask if it can be removed.

This won't be included in our church ceremony. This one little line divided my paternal family for more than a decade after my father and his three brothers stood up at their sister's wedding.    

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • it was said at my mom's second wedding (2010).  She had a simple backyard wedding.  It took everything I had not to say something. haha
    that's the only time I've seen it done outside of the movies. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have never heard it in any real wedding -- TV and movies, definitely.  I cannot imagine you would be required to have it as part of your ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards